Houston 2009 Scramble and Heifer pictures

Help Support Steer Planet:

mrs sawboss

Here are some pics of the Houston Calf Scramble that my oldest son participated in.  Some of you had expressed curiosity about the event so I thought I would post a few pics.  I also included pics of the boys with their heifers while they were in the show ring.  Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_0516 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0516 (Small).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0517 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0517 (Small).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0543 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0543 (Small).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0550 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0550 (Small).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 238

shortyjock89

Thanks a lot for putting those up!  We have a calf scramble at our section FFA show, but it's a MUCH smaller arena.  Houston sure is fun!  Heifers look good too.

Simmymom1

How did your sons end up placing with their heifers? 

We ended up not taking my daughter's heifer because she has some issues with her stifles.  Looks like the heifer is going back to the breeder next month and we will be in the market for another good show heifer. 

steermomintx

Nice looking kids and cattle--Congrats!!

The girl who won the scramble show is a really good friend of ours and lives just down the road.  She had been working with my son on showmanship before we left for Houston with steers a couple of weeks ago.  She is a very nice young lady with a bright future ahead of her.

sawboss

The Brangus heifer stood 5th of 21, she is a 1-27-08.  The top two heifers in the class also stood 1&2 in Division, with the class winner being named Breed Champion.  As the judge put it this class was loaded with "Smoke".

bcosu

they do that at our county fair with steers except it's not quite as big. the calves normally average around 500 lbs so it gets kinda interesting. are there specific rules like having to take down the calf to halter it?

kimbaljd

mrs sawboss said:
Here are some pics of the Houston Calf Scramble that my oldest son participated in.  Some of you had expressed curiosity about the event so I thought I would post a few pics.  I also included pics of the boys with their heifers while they were in the show ring.  Thanks for looking!

Just wondering what kind of camera you are using to take these pictures? And also what settings you used for flash and everything else. I took some pictures of my daughter showing in HLSR almost identical to yours but they all came out dark. If I would have to guess it was caused by my flash but I am not sure.

mrs sawboss

kimbaljd said:
mrs sawboss said:

Just wondering what kind of camera you are using to take these pictures? And also what settings you used for flash and everything else. I took some pictures of my daughter showing in HLSR almost identical to yours but they all came out dark. If I would have to guess it was caused by my flash but I am not sure.

I have a Canon SI 5S that has 8 Mega pixels and an 18X optical zoom.  I don't think I used a flash.  I did however use the function for taking sports or action pictures instead of using "AUTO" function.    I find I get much better results that way.