Houston Champions

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

Apparently the grand steer at Houston was raised by Brandon Horn.  I think he was sold by Bonham.  Horn had a red Heat Wave steer on his website before Fort Worth in 07 and I wonder if that was the same calf.

Anybody know anything about the Reserve Grand?  I suspect he was a Bonham calf also.

gocanes719

That orange steer was the same one.  Horn raised the Brahma too I believe.  That Kelley steer was looked after by Bobby Maddox pretty closely all year.  He was the real deal and was only slightly over 1300 weight wise completely full.  I know nothing of the reserve, he was stout and functional though.  I could ask around if someone had to know.

chambero

I guess Bobby has sent more cattle to the dome (I still call it that) than any other person.  He helped me with my last calf that I showed way back in 89.  I spent the whole week before Houston with him at the Priesmeyer barn and learned more that week than I ever had up till that point. 

So he wasn't pulled down hard for the show?  I'm still amazed at the difference in the kind of calves that win at Fort Worth vs. the ones at Houston.  It's not just the hair, but the difference in the size and "real" weight of the calves.  That calf had won plenty all year with his hair.

gocanes719

chambero said:
I guess Bobby has sent more cattle to the dome (I still call it that) than any other person.  He helped me with my last calf that I showed way back in 89.  I spent the whole week before Houston with him at the Priesmeyer barn and learned more that week than I ever had up till that point. 

So he wasn't pulled down hard for the show?  I'm still amazed at the difference in the kind of calves that win at Fort Worth vs. the ones at Houston.  It's not just the hair, but the difference in the size and "real" weight of the calves.  That calf had won plenty all year with his hair.
He weighed 1305 full I was tol lessthan ne week beore he weighed in at Houston.  That calf was just a freak.  Bobby wins everywhere he goes.  Some people just have what it takes to win and he is one of them.  I have been getting to hang around and visit with him some lately and he helps me out tremendously.  I think a lot of him.

Latest posts