How about the top Hereford sire?

Help Support Steer Planet:

4Ts4H

This last summer, our best black got it's butt whooped by a herf!  Truth be told, he should have.  This was the most complete county fair to come through our fair in some time.  I know, it's hard to believe since it's a herf, but to anyone who saw it there is no argument!

My question is, what would be the best sire in the breed to attempt to produce a high end steer?

We plan on breeding to a couple of horned heifers.  One is gonna be a big old brood, and the other has got a certain spark about her.  Really looking forward to see her in action in the ring!!!

renegade

Hey you cant knock a good hereford!!! ;D!!!! I would look at some remitall bulls. I havent been keeping up on whos winning but i know that remitall's are (i saw that the grand and reserve heifers and bulls were remitalls). My bull is remitall and he is built and masculine but he also has a sweet dispostion at the same time. From what i have seen of remitall cattle they are a little shorter but beef out really well as far as muscle goes.

shortyisqueen

I have always wanted to try Idaho Spud or Tiger (both from Kris Black) for Hereford steers as I think that would turn out nicely. I wouldn't say Remitall bulls would sire good steers. They might not be tidy enough in the front. I think their specialty is more the breeding cattle arena as far as show cattle go.

I like the look and pedigree of Purple Inferno as well, being as he has Wrangler 19D on the bottom side = good females. We have shown a few steers out of an older bull, MSU STAR Headliner (Feltons 517 son), and have done well with them.

We are trying some Dr. Who this year (since he's not homozygous black - for us this is good!) on some Hereford cows. Would love to get a nice red baldy, but we shall see...

chambero

You should contact Kris Black for a Hereford sire to produce steers.

CPL

I think there are many to choose from if you are wanting Hereford sired show cattle. If I were you, I'd look at  Reload and Odyssey. Channing is also another option. I have seen a few calves from him and they were nice. Also Inferno is a nice "clubby" type bull.

I hope you just are looking to breed a HOT bull to your cows. Analyze your females' strengths and weaknesses and I'm sure you will be able to find a bull that will work. I think GQ would work as well.

CPL

showsteerdlux said:
What do ya'll mean I'm confused?

Just because a calf looks Hereford doesn't mean Hereford blood is all thats in it.

"We are trying some Dr. Who this year (since he's not homozygous black - for us this is good!) on some Hereford cows. Would love to get a nice red baldy, but we shall see..."

Many people will do that ^^^ and show it as PB Hereford. (not saying anything about you shortyisqueen)

showsteerdlux

Ok I understand now. Same thing as having a calf thats out of HW and a charolais cross be called PB Charolais or the angus deal and they be half maine or something else. I gotcha now. :)))

shortyisqueen

CPL said:
showsteerdlux said:
What do ya'll mean I'm confused?

Just because a calf looks Hereford doesn't mean Hereford blood is all thats in it.

"We are trying some Dr. Who this year (since he's not homozygous black - for us this is good!) on some Hereford cows. Would love to get a nice red baldy, but we shall see..."

Many people will do that ^^^ and show it as PB Hereford. (not saying anything about you shortyisqueen)

Yeah, we have a 'Hereford Influenced' class here at our major summer steer show, so that's where the red baldie would be going. But there's always a few 'Hereford' steers show whose red color is not quite Hereford  ;)

renegade said:
I do see what your saying about remitalls making clubby steers but the bloodlines produce great bulls and heifers
We might not have had as good a luck as you then  ;) Also, I can't help but remember going to one of their sales with the intent of purchasing a bull. We went to look at the bull - he was a good looking guy - but when we saw that he was registered polled and the hair had not yet completely covered the stitch marks, we sat on our hands. Incidentally, I see many of his calves showing in the horned shows...hmmm....

renegade

I dont like it when people lie about their animals....makes me mad :mad:. We really have had luck with them and a lot of the polled breeders around here have asked where i got my bull, when they can get some semen and if their are any sisters available for sale. Im happy with them but you may have gotten the short end of the stick. 

doubled

We raise some purebred Herefords and have tried some of the Clubby Herefords, but are going back to some of our original bloodlines, you just
cant beat them for females, Like Basic, Remitall bloodlines, If you have a deep enough female the steer calves will come, Wide Load is a good bull too.
Sorensens have good ones, Purple Reign have good bloodlines in their bulls. I would stay away from some of the clubby ones. Look at what is winning
at some of the major Hereford Shows and pick the type you like. Franklin cattle have good steers and good blood.

DLD

Here in OK, Hereford steers aren't required to be purebred Hereford, just to be Hereford in appearance.In Texas I don't believe they ask how they're bred, they're classified by appearance also. It varies alot from one place to the next as to what the requirements are, and the type of bulls needed to sire competitive Hereford steers varies just as much. The vast majority of the winning Hereford steers that are shown in OK and TX and the ones that are sold from this region and end up elsewhere, are sired by bulls that came out of the same (relatively small) group of programs as the steers (like Kris Blacks). Some of them are purebred and some aren't ('cause they aren't neccesarily supposed to be) but many of them have semen available through the owners, a few through SEK, REI, Bovine Elite, etc...

Shortyisqueen, both Tiger and Idaho Spud do a good job, but I'd try to use them on something pretty much Hereford. I just know that when used on cows with some Maine or Simmi in 'em, they can throw too much white. We have a really cool fall born Tiger that's Hereford marked except he get's roan between all the red and the white - we also have one that has the biggest butt I've ever seen on a Hereford (it'd be big on a black one) but he's plenty straight in his shoulder. I'm thinking of trying the Mullinix bulls for something different. The Sorenson bulls look really good, but they seem to be a notch bigger framed. Another one that hasn't been mentioned that sires some really good ones is Ankonian Midas.

shortyisqueen

DLD said:
Shortyisqueen, both Tiger and Idaho Spud do a good job, but I'd try to use them on something pretty much Hereford. I just know that when used on cows with some Maine or Simmi in 'em, they can throw too much white.

The only thing not Hereford in these ones is a bit of Perfection five or six generations back. Ooops, there I said it...banned from the Hereford fraternity!!! Don't worry, they aren't registered. Speaking of Simmi, I wonder if I would still get some extra white!!!

JSchroeder

Some of them are purebred and some aren't ('cause they aren't necessarily supposed to be)
They stopped saying they are supposed to be purebred Hereford, Angus, etc. a few years back because they realized it was a joke to try that when they only required visual classification.  It wasn't because they wanted the Hereford class to become the Hereford cross class that it is has become.

aj

Have these herford bulls been th or pha tested? One interesting thing about pha is you can kinda trace some goofy pedigrees in different breeds.  (dog)

CAB

http://www.frnmedia.net/aksarben/results_display.asp?ID=295.

Shortyqueen, I hope this works. It's a link to the Aksarben 2005 grand champ overall, Dr. Who X "Hereford".

Sorensen's bull wide Angle is very impressive. What about the ET Moler bull?