how about this one?

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Was reading a book by a Danish vet about inherited disorders in Danish cattle and this is what he says about cattle that are carriers of recessive traits....

"If heterozygous sires are totally removed from a a breeding population, defective calves will only be born for an additional 9 months, corresponding to the length of gestation period of cattle."

your thoughts???

DL

zach said:
defective heifers can still reproduce... (cow)

this is one of those carlos mencia dee-da- dee moments ;D

Zach - re read the quote....then think about it...
;)

Show Heifer

Details my friends, details.

The Danish dude said "only be BORN for an additional nine months."

Sounds reasonable to me, and I guess that way carriers will only be created one at a time through the cow, versus thousands per year through the bull. Its a start.

Turkey Creek Ranch

When you think about it, The statement is partially true. If you remove carrier sires, there will be no homozygous calves born, BUT there is still the possibility of a carrier calf being born if the dam is a carrier.

DL

Turkey Creek Ranch said:
When you think about it, The statement is partially true. If you remove carrier sires, there will be no homozygous calves born, BUT there is still the possibility of a carrier calf being born if the dam is a carrier.

Actually the statement is totally true  ;)
totally remove ALL carrier sires
defective (ie homozygous) calves will only be born for 9 months
yes there is the possibility of carrier calves (because of the dam) BUT
totally remove ALL carrier sires from the next generations there will be NO homozygous calves born and eventually the defect will wither and die -

DL

zach said:
im confused

OK lets try it this way ...if this doesn't work maybe we can come up with another idea - just because we can lets take PHA as our recessive genetic disease and "defective calves" are those born with PHA (dead or DOA :( )

Lets take a herd of 100 carrier cows - Farmboys virtual herd (FVH prefix)
9 months ago you used a carrier bull so statistically 25 of your calves will be born dead with PHA
Now you got smart and you shipped your carrier bull so 9 months after his last breeding will be the last PHAC calf possible in your herd
So now you have a clean bull - of your 100 carrier cows and all bred to a clean bull NONE  will have a PHAC calf
With your clean bull 50% of your calves will be carriers but none will be "defective" dead PHA calves

I think the point he is trying to make is that by eliminating carrier bulls in a herd you will eliminate the disease - you will not eliminate carriers - but eventually by not using carrier bulls the disease or disorder or condition will fade away....did that help??

knabe

even if the carrier cow produced a carrier calf, that calf would be tested, and couldn't breed.  when the carrier cows die, they are replaced by free females.  i think what people will do though is maintain the carrier lines as a terminal cross until something comes along that in their mind replaces it.  thank goodness for alternatives.