how are sales going on fall borns with the economy the way it is? good/avg/down?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Vacanballs

How have your sales been? We are down here without rain and things are getting scary.

JSchroeder

Our local sale has always had half a dozen or so steers go over $4,000 and 2-3 the 7,500 to 10,000 range.  This year, the sale high was $4,000.

I know plenty of people that have written this calf crop off and weaned their calves extremely early in hopes of giving the cows a chance to breed back.  Lowest 18-month rain total in recorded history is nothing to scoff at.

It's not just fall born steers having trouble right now.  The Foundation Angus Alliance over in Luling is struggling to get $1,500 on 18-month old bulls as I type this (to be fair, the bulls are as old as the drought and it shows).  The replacement sale in Nixon was down a couple hundred a head and heifers that brought $2,000 two years ago were run through at $1,400.

kanshow

Up here in Kansas, sales have been pretty good.  I don't have any exact figures but would estimate they are close to average. 

NoEars

I don't know so much about fall borns, but last fall the spring borns sold like a SOB.  Even the average ones that were sired by HW brought a good price(5-10K).  So far I think the show cattle market has been immune to the recession.