How big are Friction calves?

Help Support Steer Planet:

muleman

Have 7 straws, thinking of using him on 2nd calf cows. What are some sizes of calves you have had out of Friction? Also, I have heard that they are late starters but come on strong at the end, any truth? Thanks

sw

Yes there is some truth there. I have had a few both heifers and bulls turned out pretty good. But they didnt look like too much when they were born, one heifer in my opinion is going to be the best cow in our herd. I would even say they came pretty small never did get a weight on them when they were born but came unassisted. I would defenitly use him again even on some of my harder calvers. I highly recommend him

chambero

There is apparently some variation in semen quality and I think he may be off the market so to speak.  But.....

We bred 10 to him a couple of years ago.  All were 2 year old heifers being bred for their second calf.  We only got one calf (at the time didn't know if it was the semen or just hard to breed back 1st calf heifers).  The heifer calf was born unassisted out in the pasture and is the best of a group of 67 18 month old replacements we have right now.

If his semen quality was up to par I'd be using him on a whole bunch of cows because I really like the bull.  Based on everything I know and have heard, I don't think you'd have an unusual amount of difficulty on 2nd calvers.

sawboss

My oldest son has a Friction steer out of a Simmi cross dam.  He has great length and structure and currenly weighs 1300 lbs. on a medium frame.  There is a picture of him on an old post "Going to Fort Worth" if you want to look at him.  From most of the calves out of him I have seen he throws a lot of baldies, that is why we took this particular calf.  We were able to get him classified as a Simmi.

kslivstkbroker

had a pair of twins out of friction and 2 singles,twins were 50#singles 70-80# had 2 last year now problems they look good!