how big?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Moocow11

how big of a show box do I think I would need for 3 calves.
also can i use just a synthetic brush($3) instead of a rice root brush($18) and which comb comb do you like the best when fitting the legs and the body?
thanks a bunch everyone

ShowStopper

Moocow11 said:
how big of a show box do I think I would need for 3 calves.
also can i use just a synthetic brush($3) instead of a rice root brush($18) and which comb comb do you like the best when fitting the legs and the body?
thanks a bunch everyone

I think we have a 5' upright showbox, and it does just fine. I do use the synthetic brush (you are talking the plastic one that most horse people use right?) and it works wonderful. I almost prefer it over the rice root beucase it actually gets down to the skin without mashing all the hair together. I also like it on the legs. When fiitting the legs or body i like either the skiptooth or the fluffer. If you are trying to get some extra hair to stand up on the legs, I like the skiptooth becuase it doesn't have as many teeth so it is easier to get that hair to stand if it already has adhesive in it.

This is just what I like and what has worked for me. Some others may have different opinions on this stuff.

Moocow11

thanks a bunch but how many claves do you use that showbox for. i wasnt wanting a 800 dolar one

Ag Man

3 calves or 8 calves the size will be about the same...the equipment will be about the same.

One thought...look into the shorter boxes from Sullivans..then if you need more buy another ...stack 'em and make a two wheel cart to haul 'em like the 5 foot Sullivans.  I did that except I bought both at the same time because I thought we could take a smaller one to one day shows but it hasn't worked that way.  Buy the one with the two drawers first...add the open shelf one later. 

Good luck.

DLD

Check out this thread on showboxes http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php/topic,1385.0.html

As for brushes, most of the synthetics just don't quite work hair like a rice root, but they're better than not brushing at all. The rice root bristles are just right for really stimulating the hair and skin without irritating it, it's hard for synthetics to get that kind of consistency.

I use fluffer combs prob'ly 85% of the time. Regular ones on thinner hair, especially boning legs, wide tooths on really super thick hair maybe, but most people I know pretty much use fluffers for everything they used to use wide tooths for.

red

I use the brushes for different things. Like both of them. I use the rice brush very day & every time I wash of brush to stimulate hair growth. The rotobrush is more of a luxuary item but worth it. I use it when they are wet & on the legs daily. Do the entire body once a day. If you are counting pennies, go w/ the a really nice rice brush to start out.
Also for the show box, whatever fits your needs. I carry a ton of stuff so need a really big box. If you don't mind hand carrying some items, you can get away w/ a smaller box. We started out w/ a really small one & then grew.

Red