How close is to close??

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

I am thinking about using one of our metal building as a small show calf barn, we will only have 3 calves in there, and they would have accses to a 3 acre pasture. However it  is about 75 feet from our house, would that be to close?

shortyjock89

Just make sure it's downwind from your house  ;)    Don't need the whole house smelling like a show barn ALL the time...

cowz

You may want to consider the flies.  There is nothing worse than having a screen door literally covered with flies trying to get in your house.  If you go that close, keep it clean and you may want to consider using Rabon lick blocks.

Sundae

Well we have 4 calves about 30 feet east of our garage wich is conected to the house, no flies yet cause of cool wether, but last year we had 2 calves over in the pen and really the flies weren't that bad, and when the pen was cleaned the manure was just put over the fence. 

S.

BCCC

yes I feed them rabon licks. the house sits west of the barn, and the wind is normally blowing north and south in the summer.

knabe

the rabon blocks work.  get a cattle rub, predators sticky traps and the smelly traps.  not that bad.  my barn is about the same distance from the house, and the ONLY fly problems we have is the hover flies.

red

we're using the predetor wasp's. Boy they really worked well last year. Fly trouble was way down. Hore flies are my biggest grip though!

Red

kanshow

Right now, we have 3 pigs way too close to the house, should get them moved in the next week or so.  Thank goodness they are still small.

I've been thinking about trying the predator wasps.   

Hore flies are my biggest grip though
  I know what you meant but somehow this just gave me a great laugh!!!  Thanks!!!!

red

kanshow said:
Right now, we have 3 pigs way too close to the house, should get them moved in the next week or so.   Thank goodness they are still small.

I've been thinking about trying the predator wasps.     

Hore flies are my biggest grip though
  I know what you meant but somehow this just gave me a great laugh!!!  Thanks!!!!

I need to  check my spelling more carefully!!  :)))

oakbar

Red,  I've never heard of that particular kind of fly before.  Are they native to your part of the country??

We did have "Circle Flies" one time!!  You know the kind that "circle" around a horse's rear end.  I could never figure out why they were always hangin' around me and some of my best friends!! 

Ha Ha!!  I know, I know---it's an old joke!!