How did the shorthorn show go

Help Support Steer Planet:

Will

I know who won grand and reserve but was curious how everyone that visit here enjoyed the show. 

justme

I missed it but it sounded like the marathon of all marathons lasting around 12 hours from what I heard

shortyisqueen

Anyone here that went to watch? How do you think the judging went? It looked okay on my tiny screen, but its usually a whole lot different from ringside!

ELBEE

I liked the V-8 heifer Jim Williams was leading better than the CF heifer of Caney Valley's that won.

Never in my life have I seen so much consistency, (good or bad)  from end to end.

I appreciate the fact that the open judge used the more feminine, moderate framed heifers. Even if it wasn't too popular in the barn.

pigguy

Just wonder do they look at the calves pedigree also?? or do they just look at the calf? :)))

knabe

ELBEE said:
I appreciate the fact that the open judge used the more feminine, moderate framed heifers. Even if it wasn't too popular in the barn.

noticed the same thing with simmental and charolais and judges comments.

Doc

I really liked the bull that won. In fact I went over to his stall on Saturday to buy some semen on him ,only to find out they haven't collected him yet. I put my name on the list . One thing that really impressed me besides the bull himself was the fact they had 4 calves in their string out of the same cow & they were all impressive. Fact is there was another bull there ,not in their string that was a full brother & stood 3rd in the same class. There was a Rodeo Drive son there with Hortons out of Illinois that I liked also. ;D

OH Breeder

I was able to watch down to the bull show. I missed the final drive in bulls. The little screen was hard to see, but I have seen some of those females through out the year. Really like the heifer of Dylan Evans- Dazzle Fool. I also thought he went pretty middle of the road with his picks. He didn't go extreme one way or the other. Now from the screen I thought some of those females were not the soundest moving but I think they some of them were really fat or they looked like it.

Will

Doc said:
I really liked the bull that won. In fact I went over to his stall on Saturday to buy some semen on him ,only to find out they haven't collected him yet. I put my name on the list . One thing that really impressed me besides the bull himself was the fact they had 4 calves in their string out of the same cow & they were all impressive. Fact is there was another bull there ,not in their string that was a full brother & stood 3rd in the same class. There was a Rodeo Drive son there with Hortons out of Illinois that I liked also. ;D
Who had champion bull and how is he bred?

shorthorns r us

Will said:
Doc said:
Who had champion bull and how is he bred?

sara jo cambell from PA.  he was a Sonny out of RF American Woman (Vortec * Dixie Chic) that makes her a 1/2 sib to james sullivan's heartbreaker that was all but unbeatable in 2005.  His flushmates were champion bull, stood 3rd in same class at NAILE, and res. b&o heifer at jr national.

pigguy

Just wonder do they look at the calves pedigree also?? or do they just look at the calf?

shorthorns r us

a judge is to evaluate the cattle without regard to their pedigree.  the shorthorns were judged by an angus breeder from tx.  he's a good cattleman but i doubt he understands the pedigrees of all the shorthorns.

Diamond

I heard that 4 shorthorns where stolen from the show? im hoping that was just a rumor.

pigguy

Just wondering do they look at the calves pedigree also?? or do they just look at the calf?

shortyjock89

Just the calf.  But to tell you the truth, most of the pedigrees that win go to Trump, Solution,Sonny and Vortec.

jnm

You will never convince me that the judges don't see the Pedigrees befoire the show and that it doesn't influence their decision.

pigguy

maine12 said:
Just wondering do they look at the calves pedigree also?? or do they just look at the calf?
i was jsut wondering because when i was watching the show on the computer it souned like they were says they're sire and damn so i thought maybe they judged that also

itk

I lucked out watching the show online. I logged in twice and the first time they were picking champion heifer and the second time I got to see everyone's favorite shorthorn breeder from Blue Rapids, KS showing a bull. What luck!