How do I become an Embryologist??? HELP

Help Support Steer Planet:

DA

I'm looking in to a career as a Embryologist and owning my own Donors and AI sires which to sell semen off of. But I can't find info on what a need to take in college. I plan on majoring in animale science an having a minor in Ag busness. But I would like to know what a Embryologist gets payed and if someones in the busness how did you get started.By the way I live in Tx. Thanks for the help.  

knabe

DA, this is a worthy challenge.  you will be suprised that if you call someone like you want to be, they will honestly tell you what you need.  i am betting that very few embryologists actually own their own donors and Ai sires that generates as much income as the embryology side.  you would probably generate more consistent revenue by choosing one or the other, as your animals would probably take a back seat to your customer's.  you are doing the right thing in investigating a career before you commit to a program.  in california, the average number of times people change their major is 5 times.  at a university where you have to declare before you can be accepted such as Cal Poly, the average is slightly over 3.  definately interview people who actually do what you want, do market research on what area you have in mind to service, compare the competition, how can you stand out, gain knowledge, contacts, experience.  what type of revenue are you happy with.  livestock is a tough business.  of all the people i went to college with, i know very few who are still in it.  in CA, most of this type of work is done in dairies, not beef.

Jill

I think you have to have a Vet degree to be an Embryologist (not positive).  I know most of the people that we know that do this type of work have huge investments in facilities, work horrible hours, but the pay seems to be nice, most however do not own their own sires or dams, they work for other people.  Be realistic about what your goals and intitial cost will be before you decide to go in that direction.  I agree, talk to some of the people you know that are doing what you want to do.

DL

This is a bit of a sticky wicket kind of question - and the answer is - it depends on what state you are in (bet that doesn't help at all!). Many (most) states require a DVM degree to do certain things - it is considered veterinary practice and therefore you need to be a vet to do it. Some states, including Texas, have amended their practice act such that ET work is not considered vet practice. I don't know what the specific requirements are but I know several people getting their PhD in reproductive physiology to do it, I suspect a masters is a minimal requirement. Cowboy might have more to add. The advise you got was good- talk to people who are doing what you want to do. Good luck

DA

Thanks. Theres not a lot of people around here that dose this type of work most people have a comm herd and a few bulls to cover there cows and take the calves to the sale bull come weaning time. But My mom was talking to a friend and her grandson has his own ET and AI company , so I hope she see's her soon to ask if he wound'nt mind giving me some hands on advise and information.

red

that sounds like the best advice- check w/ someone already doing it. Like DL said, different states have different regulations so it depends a lot on where you live or like to live. I'd check w/ your state or someone already practicing on what is required.
Best of luck, seems like a growing field!

Red