How do I Clear Ringworm up?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Big Bry

I Got some show bulls that have ring worm and i was wondering what can i do to clear it up. Is there anything i can give them?  Id try about anything now!

thunderdownunder

You can spray iodine on it morn and night.

But, the best thing in my opinion is to get an old toothbrush, scratch the scab off til it bleeds, then scrub bleach into the spots. This is guaranteed to work.

You can get treatments from the vet, but bleach is cheaper and just as effective.

MCC

Like thunderdownunder said scrub it with clorox water then put iodine on it. Do it everyday until you can see you have killed the ringworm. TBZ paste will work too but I don't think you can get it anymore.

Blue Intentions

Bacon grease...let it harden into a paste with rub it on the ringworm it will turn the spot red...keep it on there for three or four days it works like a charm and the hair grows back quick!!!

bcosu

scratching the dead stuff off is essential. we have had luck with regular fungus treatments for athlete's foot and jock itch as well.
not sure if it is available in your area but tractor supply sells a product called MTG (mane tail and groom) that must have bacon grease in it because it sure smells like it and it works good to help the hair grow back too.

frostback

You do not need to scratch it, that just prolongs the healing. Bacon grease is great, I have used it for years. Just rub it on a couple times a day for a couple days are ususally enough. The grease keeps it moisturized and it heals fast. That and you get a great meal out of it.

coyote

Curing ringworm, reminds me of an episode on the Beverly Hillibillys show. Some guys had heard that granny had a cure for the common cold, it was home brew, she said take a swig a day and in 10 days the cold will be gone.
I find just like the common cold there are lots of cures, but all it takes is time.

A few years ago a friend brought some heifers down that had been vaccinated so they wouldn't get ringworm, they got ringworm. Does anyone know if there is still a vaccine out there and does it work?

peachy

Best thing I used was Ringaway,probably 15 years ago,dont know if they still make it or not . If I remember right it came from Texas . Hair would start growing back in a week.

ploughshare

Careful when working with these fungi, they will also you you as a host.

SeannyT

Best results I've got are from rubbing the ringworm not too hard but just with a cloth of some sort. Then apply an oil or antifungal (simple mineral oil worked for me). Be careful though coming from a guy who has had ringworm more than once, its not fun.

thunderdownunder

You MUST get the scab off if you don't want to be treating the animal for ages.

And yes, good point, be very careful when treating as ringworm loves humans.

Also, as far as vaccine, I don't know of any. But supposedly once an animal has had ringworm, it won't get it again. I tend to believe this, as we've often had ringworm go through calves and they've never had a recurrence. I've seen very few cows/older bulls with ringworm.

frostback

thunderdownunder said:
You MUST get the scab off if you don't want to be treating the animal for ages.

And yes, good point, be very careful when treating as ringworm loves humans.

Also, as far as vaccine, I don't know of any. But supposedly once an animal has had ringworm, it won't get it again. I tend to believe this, as we've often had ringworm go through calves and they've never had a recurrence. I've seen very few cows/older bulls with ringworm.

When I use the bacon grease on it you do not need to scratch it first. You slather the spot and the next day the hard stuff will soften and then you can just use a your hand(put a glove on) to rub off the raised stuff and then you are not dealing with a abrasion that takes longer to heal. Last year a heifer had a spot on her check that I noticed and she never even lost all her hair in the spot before  I killed the ringworm and new hair began to grow back.

Sassy2899

My steer had ring worm last year and I used diesel and a corn comb. Scrub the heck out of it.

JAGUR01

Big Bry said:
I Got some show bulls that have ring worm and i was wondering what can i do to clear it up. Is there anything i can give them?  Id try about anything now!

Captan.  Its used to fight fungus on roses.  Mix it with water until its a thick paste, and put it on each spot for three to four days. works great.

MCC

Big Bry, let us know which treatment you used to get rid of it. Some of these I've never heard of but if they work better than what I've been using I'd like to know.

lowann

Blue Star ointment is the best, and the cheapest fix we have ever found. You can get it over the counter at most any drug store. Just ask for it. Usually one treatment works, and hair is growing back in just a few days. Make sure you disinfect all of the areas the cattle are exposed to, bunks, halters, combs, brushes etc........nothing else we have tried works better.
They do have a web site.