how do you cheer yourself up?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

OK, this might be considered personal angst but needed some words of encouragement.
I know that one of the after effects of the surgeries is depression. I just can't get myself out of the basement though. Can't eat, have no joy & just am having pain issues. I always try to remember that there are people that are so much worse off than myself. That it's going to take time & I'll feel better when it's over. However that is sometimes easier said than done!

What are some of the things that brings you out of the dumpster? Usually I go out & work w/ the calves & out in the yard but those are both off limits. I got back on the board early just because it gives me something to take my mind off things. Plus some of the nicest people are here. Of course Woody & Killer Kitty provide lots of comfort. It doesn't help that I'm not supposed to leave the house except for Dr's appointments & quick trips. I also have turned to my Bible & a daily meditations book. Both give me a sense of peace.

Assignment SP- give me some things that bring joy into your life!

Red  :'(

BIGTEX

One of my favorite parts of the day is watching my cows as the sun goes down. Definitely gets my mind off of work. Do you think cattle watching could be a sport? I think I would be really good at it. Maybe I could go for the Gold in 2012.

knabe

i watched the stars come out last night on my back.

i ask the maine association questions

see joni mitchell thread for update.

Simmymom1

(angel)  Poor Cathy - I wish I could make everything better for you!!  You have me thinking long and hard on this one, because I can get down on just a regular day, you have alot of health stuff going on right now and that makes it even harder.  When I get down and out, the first thing I do is call my grandma (my best friend) and she can cheer me up in an instant.  Maybe I can get her to call you and you will feel so much better, let me know if we need to do that because she loves EVERYONE that she meets, and they all love her.  I know you are grounded from going outside but that helps me out also to be with my horses and the cattle, just the smell of them helps me feel better.  I wish I lived closer because I would come over to visit with you and Woody and Killer Kitty, I know I could cheer you up.  Please continue to hang in there and know this is going to all get better SOON....we all love ya and want the best for you!!  Lisa

JN Cattle Co.

Personally, anything that involves being outdoors, whether it is looking at cattle, walking in our fields, and even physical labor on the farm.

My cousin last year was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer on her 20th birthday. During her treatments, she found that if she was involved in many activities, it would make the time go by faster, but she found out that she enjoyed doing these things as well. She became involved in quilting, baking, playing piano, putting puzzles together, and even something as simple as coloring pictures. Find something you think you would enjoy doing, and try it.

Dixie

As JN Cattle Co. said I understand that as funny as it sounds coloring is a wonderful stress reliever!! Remember when you were a kid how you loved to color and how it made you feel? In the hospital we will sometimes give patients coloring books and crayons in their daily packets that the volunteers deliver to cheer them up! It may make some feel a little embarrassed when someone catches them, but you can generally see the tensions wash out of their face. Just my two cents worth!
I enjoy sitting on the back deck watching the cows and feeling the sun (which is a wonderful healer for the mind and body) beat down on my face, while smelling the great outdoors by the flower beds. Hope you get feeling better soon and that we can all give you a little something to help you out. <party>

KCK

I love to drive with my windows down on a sunny day, listening to a CD of music from a happy time. I let my mind wonder and daydream, which creates great memories and ends with laughter.

I started making jewelry to make time pass, but sometimes it gets frustrating. But, you can always take day long classes at a Hobby Lobby or Micheals to start on something.

How about grabbing a camera and capturing memories of your cattle, land, family. Be creative! You can even download a free program from Google to edit them. Don't need any software. Just google Picasa and download. Then you can make them black and white, zoom in, crop and all sorts of other things.

There are plenty of random places that offer day long classes for things from CPR to cross stitch.
ooohh- and there is alwasy the ability to watch a sale online at www.liveauctions.tv:)

Not sure if it helps, but thought I would chime in.

Get well, Red!

red

I'm trying some of the suggestions already. I walked out to the barn. Saw my barn kittens & petted my cows.
Since baking gives me joy I'm making 2 loaves of zucchini bread.
I also cranked up the radio.

thanks to all so far!

Red

ELBEE

Attend a 4-H meeting. It's time all those little first year munchkins are getting they'er project talks and demonstrasions in before the end of the year. If that doesn't cheer you up, nothin' will!

red

our county fair starts next week. I hope to go one night. Would love to see OH B's cattle.

Red

SouthWest

I hope ya feel better.  I always like to call all of my college friends.  I like to catch up with their careers and famillies.  Some I feel like I have been there to watch them grow up (over the phone).  I also like to listen to music and bake.  I like watching the faces of enjoyment of my family as they get to eat the goodies.  I also like to google different ideas or topics related to the beef industry.  I beleive the most I teach myself about  issues, the more educated opinion I can offer.  And last, I like to bug my family to death.  I like to play what if.  What if.....???

TJ

Red, I hope that you start feeling better soon.  I've dealt with depression a lot during my life.  I can tell you from experience that being active, eating right & exercising helps.  However, the only thing that ever truly worked for me is picking up the Bible, particularly the New Testament or a easy to read Bible commentary (I like Dr J Vernon McGee's Thru the Bible Commentary, although I may not 100% agree with every single thing written in it, but about 98-99%) & studying it.  Quite honestly, that is the only thing that helped me & I used to be pretty bad about being depressed.  Very bad actually.

Also, I've taken several types of medicine for depression & it didn't help & probably made it worse.  I rarely ever deal with it anymore & I don't take a thing.  Not saying that meds don't help some people, just that they never helped me & probably made it worse. 

Again, I truly hope that you start feeling better soon, nothing worse than feeling depressed!

DLD

Lot's of good suggestions above.  For me, music is my pulse, and there's something about listening to Jimmy Buffett that makes me feel better.  If you like his music, it'd be worth a try.

Wish I could be of more help.  I hope you feel better soon.

oakview

After what we've been through the past 10 months, my wife started making and distributing prayers shawls to those in need.  Good therapy both ways.  We'd be happy to send you one.  (just need the address, my email is in our Shorthorn Country ad).

inthebarnagain

I've got a warm and fuzzy story.  We weaned calves this morning, I am beginning to doubt the Farmers almanac though, they are bawling their heads off.  After making sure that everyone was well barricaded and everything was ready, hubby headed off to the Foundation Female Sale, 5 hours away.  A couple of hours after he left I went back out to check the calves and check on a heifer that will be 2 this February.  The bull jumped the gate last year and despite two doses of lutalyse at 1 month and 3 months she didn't abort the calf. 

I think it was meant to be though.  The bull we had for 7 years and we decided that he finally needed to go, he had a foot that was getting bad and we had too many daughters.  In those 7 years he had never done anything like go over a gate to get anyone, was a perfect gentleman.  We sold him last December, my daughter and I refused to go with my husband, loading Earl was bad enough (he was born when the Dixie Chicks song was going).

As upset as I was that this young heifer was going to calve at 18 months of age I wasn't really worried because Earl was kept around because of the little tiny calves he through, perfect for the heifers.  Of course she had the baby about 4 hours ago, after hubby was long gone.  And of course she didn't have a clue and walked away.  I found the baby still wet with the afterbirth still laying on her.  So I took her to the barn, got the heifer and took her too.  She seemed a little less dazed and actually sniffed the baby but wouldn't lick it.  So I went and mixed colostrum and got about a pint in her.  She still had not got up and I hadn't been able to get her on her feet, just her butt in the air.  Well apparently a pint of colostrum does wonders for a 50 pound calf (that is right 50, I weighed her).  I grabbed two handfuls of straw and started rubbing like crazy and she jumped up on all 4.  Then she started to go after Mama who proceeded to butt her and kick at her.  At this point I was as close to beating the living daylights out of that cow as I have ever came. 

Put her in the Riverrode chute and threatened her with her life and went back to get baby who had tried to follow us.  Scooped her up, took her to the chute and She WOULDN'T GET UP!!!  Apparently chasing Mom had wore the little squirt out.  So I started milking mom and make sure all guns were firing and then started squirting it on her face.  Apparently my little one has a temper because she jumped up and started going after mom again.  I helped her find them and it was downhill from there.  After she had emptied the left front quarter I moved her around to the right front quarter.  She actually rammed her mom on that side.  Needless to say I just came in from the barn and although I am COVERED in anything birth related that you can think of I am totally happy. 

But what does it say that I had to see what SP was up to before I even took a shower!  Be glad we are on the computer, you wouldn't' want to be near me!

shortdawg

I'll go shut my cows up in one pasture just so I can go back later and let them all walk by me back into the other pasture. The Bible reading is definitely a good thing you can't ever go wrong with. I also play guitar so making music is a great thing for me to cheer up with. I wish you well and if you ever just need to talk please don't hesitate to call.  (angel)

Show Dad

Catnip!

Only the organic hormone free stuff. :D

I know your saying how could I! But it's hard to kick the habit (especially while the nun is still in it. ;D). I will call my sponsor and go to a O-CRAP (Organic Catnip Requires Animal Poop) meeting.
<alien>

AAOK

Red,
Every morning, no matter what day of the week, around 4:45 a.m., I wake up, excited that I have another day on this Earth to go about fullfilling my responsibilities to God.  I'm continually overwhelmed that He created me for His pleasure, and since the age of 19 I have been a member of God's family; made to be a model of His character, magnifier of His glory, minister of His grace through Jesus Christ, and a messenger to others of His Good News.  Do I accomplish this each and every day?  Absolutely not!  He lifts me up every day, giving me encouragement through His promise to get out there and do what I need to do.  For me, every day, truly, is a better day, but not because of anything I do.

red

SD said:
Catnip!

I know your saying how could I! But it's hard to kick the habit (especially while the nun is still in it. ;D). I will call my sponsor and go to a O-CRAP (Organic Catnip Requires Animal Poop) meeting.
<alien>

SD - we just finally got Killer Kitty into rehab for his nip problem. It was getting so bad that he had a $300 a day habit. I caught him growing catnip in between the rows of corn. He had nip stashed through out the house. The final straw came when I caught him snorting the nip. He also was using the credit card to buy catnip toys on-line. It was a very sad case of nip addiction.

Please- don't use nip. It can fry what little gray brain cells you have left!

Red  (lol)

inthebarnagain

red said:
SD said:
Catnip!

<alien>

SD - we just finally got Killer Kitty into rehab for his nip problem. It was getting so bad that he had a $300 a day habit. I caught him growing catnip in between the rows of corn. He had nip stashed through out the house. The final straw came when I caught him snorting the nip. He also was using the credit card to buy catnip toys on-line. It was a very sad case of nip addiction.

Please- don't use nip. It can fry what little gray brain cells you have left!

Red  (lol)

Does KK also go nuts when there is fresh mown grass on your clothes?  Our cat used to go silly like we had catnip on us, she would roll around and her eyes would get all dilated and goofy looking.

Latest posts