How do you cope w/ pain?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

I am in awe of the coping skills that all of you have!  My pain is "amatuer" pain.  My knees and back give me fits, so here is my home remedy....1 tall glass of water, 2 Aleve, 3 microwavable hot packs:  one for each knee and one for my back.....tell the boys to turn down ESPN....and I sleep!

red

Cowz, I can't take Aleve or anything like that. It messes w/ my stomach & I see blood where I shouldn't. I'm trying a Lindoderm patch on my back. Anyone have luck w/ those?

Red

knabe

anyone remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQwXOCKNLY&eurl=http://cgi.fark.com/cgi/fark/youtube.pl?IDLink=3332397

this is inhaling

definately a different era.

this album came out on high quality vinyl (by elton john) called orginal master recordings mastered in half speed by mobile fidelity sound lab.  sounded great on a great stereo, which i had with a bang and olfsen linear tracking phonograph, speaker lab speaks, ampzilla amp, a preamp by yamaha.  should have bought a house (or land in the midwest, though it was overinflated still from oil money) instead, and could have.  they were 30,000 back then, i had almost 20 before i went to college.  that house today would be worth (before the subprime crash) about 800,000. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Fidelity

shorthorns r us

red said:
Cowz, I can't take Aleve or anything like that. It messes w/ my stomach & I see blood where I shouldn't. I'm trying a Lindoderm patch on my back. Anyone have luck w/ those?

Red

Lindoderm patch are worthless for me.  have same problem with anti-inflamitories.  had to take 120 mg of prilosec to manage the 2400 mg of ibuprofen after they reshaped my hip joints.

knabe

when the pain has atrophy'd your muscles, you can get one of these to help you halter break calves.

http://www.robots-dreams.com/2008/01/new-robot-suit.html

itk

Sometimes I get a serious pain in my backside so I tell my wife to go to another room and it clears right up.

chambero

Probably doesn't apply to your situation Red, but a vet buddy of mine told me that ibuprofen and acetominophine work via two completely different mechanisms.  So you can take both at the same time.  I watched him take about 3 of both one night on a high elevation hunting trip.  After he woke up the next morning alive, I decided he must know what he is talking about and tried it myself the next night.  All the aches and pains disappeared - much more than taking one or the other.

So after a hard day of some hideous chore (i.e. clipping for 16 hours straight), I take both and sleep like a baby and wake up in pretty decent shape the next morning.

DL

chambero said:
Probably doesn't apply to your situation Red, but a vet buddy of mine told me that ibuprofen and acetominophine work via two completely different mechanisms.  So you can take both at the same time.  I watched him take about 3 of both one night on a high elevation hunting trip.  After he woke up the next morning alive, I decided he must know what he is talking about and tried it myself the next night.  All the aches and pains disappeared - much more than taking one or the other.

So after a hard day of some hideous chore (i.e. clipping for 16 hours straight), I take both and sleep like a baby and wake up in pretty decent shape the next morning.

Yup chambero you are pretty much right! Acetominophin (Tylenol) is actually the active metabolite of phenacetin (anybody remember the old APC tablets??) it is useful as an analgesic and antipyretic (decrease temperature) but has little anti inflammatory properties. Ibuprophen (and the other non steriodal drugs aka NSAIDs) work by inhibiting the enzyme cyclooxygenase which is involved in inflammation.

Just as a cocktail aside cats do not have the enzymes to metabolize Tylenol - and they metabolize ASA and ibuprofen poorly - so if the cat has a headache you need another option  ;)

red

Just as a cocktail aside cats do not have the enzymes to metabolize Tylenol - and they metabolize ASA and ibuprofen poorly - so if the cat has a headache you need another option 
Killer Kitty just gnaws on one of Poolie's frozen rat-cicles. Does the trick for him! ;)

I need to stay away anything like Ibuprophen & the likes. Too rough on the tummy.
Middle of the road night. Just one leg hurting so that was better.

Red

occ

Red, I'm glad you had a better night.  I have back problems stemming from spinal fusion surgery for scoliosis when I was a teenager (metal rod screwed to my spine, etc.).  sciatica is what gets me.  My best cure is reading your posts on this board and realizing that my aches and pains are so minor compared to your health problems, yet you are always so positive.    If you can make it to the barn, I certainly can.  Good Luck, hopefully your docs can come up with something that will work. 

red

OCC
thanks so much! There certainly are always someone worse off. I guess I get so much of my inspiration from my hubby. He broke his back when he was 15. Confined to a wheelchair for a couple of years & then decided enough! He wears leg braces & walks w/ the aid of crutches. Some days he has so much nerve pain that he can hardly exsist. But he just keeps going. I've never met anyone quite like him.
He farms 3500 acres & does a lot of the field work. Most of the equipment as our vechile is equiped for him. I just am in awe of him. I think anyone that has met him would agree!

take care & if you need to talk more, e-mail me at [email protected]

Latest posts