How do you "county-fairerize" your cattle?

Help Support Steer Planet:

brahmergirl

Just wondering what everyone does to get their cattle ready to take to the fairs when they've been on 160 acres with no balloons, bicycles, and tractor pulls?

We used to live in town when we first started raising our brahma's.  We had our 80 acres but it was 10 miles north of our house and too far to keep a bucket calf for a 7 year old to work with.  So we had a nice little round pen in our backyard.  Along with 30 chickens  ;D all in town.  My son and I would walk his calf down town with a control calf halter on, one lead rope attached to each side in case of a fast break from the calf, mom could catch it!  You don't know how many stares we got as we would walk that calf down the main road eating our ice cream cone that we purchased at the corner store.  It worked though, our calves were broke to motorcycles, flags, cars, bicycles, dogs, kids, balloons, reflections in windows, people actually wanting to touch and pet them, asphalt, rock roads, and yes, even the tornado sirens!  ;D 

Probably the worst trip we ever had was walking down main street the weekend before flag day, as that is what our local town celebrates in June as their town celebration, so there is like a 100 flags on poles, everywhere.  We decided to walk the calf that day in 20+mph winds down the asphalt.  Very interesting. 

After we walked them a year or two, our local town began to have the "cow patty bingo" town fundraiser and yup you guessed it!  Guess who's cows were the official pooers!  Because they knew ours were "town raised" and wouldn't be afraid of the firetrucks in the parade, balloons and such not to mention they were grain fed and not grass fed.  That is an important thing to remember when playing cow patty bingo, one set of grass scours can make you end up paying 10-12 people depending on how many numbers the scours covers, but one nice grain patty can only pay up to four given it lands on four corners!!!! ;D

I better go do laundry now.  Just had to share!

red

I play music or talk radio in the barn. Gets them used to sounds & noises. Also try to take as many strangers to see them so they get used to different people.
Would have loved to see the cow bingo!!

Red

Joe Boy

Red,
I did the same thing... radio.... kids and grandkids..... my Pyrenees dogs, a show lamb or two, and show pigs..... then since we are on a major highway, US 283, we tied the calves to the fence right next to the highway.... we have a corral next to the highway and we feed there a few days before tying them to the outside fence.....  then we take them to show barn when no one else is there.... then take them to the practice when others are there..... we get the calves use to being moved.... I take them to Dad's and wash them there.... walk them around his barns and tractors..... take them to my brothers and repeat the deal.... when they learn that you are with them and you are their comfort zone in any environment they can be taken anywhere....

Latest posts