How do you feed your show calves; On the ground or raised trough?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SlickTxMaine

Just wondering if there is a benefit to either?  I hear people talk about affecting the calves' backs if you feed them on the ground, but don't they graze their entire lives?  So, opinions: feed in pan/trough on the ground, or raised trough?

Chuck Wagon

I too have thought about this and I can see both points.  I feed in a bunker about 1 foot off the ground.  I guess that I want the show steer to eat as much show feed as I feed him.  If he cleans it up, with less stress on back and neck then all the better.  When I turn them out in the evening, there he is, head to the ground eating grass.

He has free choice hay as well, so he can do whatever he wants.  I think it depends on the situation and how heavy the calf is anyway.  We treat them like royalty anyway.  Daily baths and brushing, fans and misters.  Pick up their poop and even wipe their butt at times.

Go the extra mile and raise the feed bunker and maybe he will reward you with banner or he may just step on your foot. 

Either way, we wouldn't do it if we didn't enjoy it so darn much.

It's interesting that I get accused of being a tight wad in everything except  for the steers and heifers.  It's true though, I will order water for lunch but will easily spend $ 50 on a supplement.

Chuck

lomac

^^^ Wish there was a like button Chuck.  Feed ours elevated about 2'. I think eating grass from the ground and bringing down big mouth fulls of a show feed (20lbs or so) with top dressed supplements from the ground on a daily basis are different IMO. Week before a show we do feed on the ground tied up to get them used to it before going.

jchandler16

I attended a clinic last april put on by Bob May and Weaver products and his personal two cents was to always feed out of an elevated bunk. His reasoning being as your animal begins to grow many a times to reach the feed off the floor it will start to spread open its front legs leading to further problems down the road that could have been avoided