How does your garden grow?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

Well.......the calves are branded, pairs have been sorted (marriage counselor did not have to be used as a result of days of sorting  :p), AI ing is done, almost everybody out to pasture.  It has been 8 days since the last snowflake!!!  Life is good!

Time for me to get serious about a garden.  At my elevation, we never do anything until after Memorial Day.  (Which makes me really ENVIOUS of you guys that live in the banana belt and have beautiful gardens by now!)

I can grow green and wax beans, swiss chard, leaf lettuce, radishes, peas, squash and onions.  We have a party if we can actually harvest a mature ear of corn!!  We haul a pickup load of sweet corn out of Nebraska if we want to freeze corn.!

What do all of you grow in your garden patch?    (If you say melons, Im really gonna be jealous!)

frostback

I have a great variety of weeds this year and was told not to plant as it is a great spot for my husband to work the bird dog puppy. Negotiations are still underway.

farmboy

MELONS, ::) TATERS, LOTS OF TOMATOES(i hate tomatoes, not my decision) LOTSA CORN, GREEN BEANS CANTELOPE, AND SOME CABBAGE, ALSO NOT MY DECISION. LAST YEAR AT MY HOUSE, NOT THE FARM, WE GREW A 202 POUND PUNKIN. GET THIS, IT WAS DONE GROWING IN JUNE ALMOST. I BET IT GREW 5 POUNDS A DAY. SILVER QUEEN CORN IS THE BEST THOUGH. (clapping)

Show Heifer

Broccoli, Cauliflower, Snow Peas, green beans, Cucumbers, Butternut Suash, Zucchini, strawberries, lettuce, and spinach. I gave up on sweet corn as the coons get it the day before I pick it! And a hot wire keeps them out sometimes but then the deer get it! I just can't win there!  :mad:
Also tomatos and sweet potatoes....I LOVE those!! ;D
Might try some watermelon and cantalope, but really wet, so may just have to call it good for this year!! (clapping)
I like to plant, and pick, but not weed!
I'll trade someone some tomatos for some sweet corn!!!

bluegrass

The only thing I grow is tomatoes because there easy, but me nor the kids like them. But its nice to see that you did something and the neighbors love them. Last year we had a nice crop of accidental punkins that got ripe just in time for halloween.  :)

shortyjock89

Man, I wish we had time for a garden.....between cattle shows and putting the crop in the fields, we barely have enough time to eat dinner and bathe once a week!! We used to have a big garden though...peas, carrots,lettuce,three types of melons, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes (I hate em too, but dad and my sister love em). We grew alot of other stuff too, but I can't really remember it all right now!

red

let's see- asparagus, lettuce, spinach, green & yellow peppers, 2 kinds of tomatoes, pea pods, green beans, carrots, broccoli,zucchini, red potatoes, melons (sorry cowz) & mixed gourds. Also have herb garden, rubbarb & trying garlic this year. We have sweet corn grown at the farm. I run out of room in my garden for it. I went a little crazy this year planting so we'll see how it all works out! Also have apple & pear trees.

Not to mention at least 50 different types of flowers & plants.

Red

bluegrass

Speaking of trees, my apple trees do ok, but my peach tree starts little peaches every year then they just dry up when they get about the size of a quarter. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? We had a late freeze this year so don't expect any of the trees to do much.

farmboy

SPEAKIN OF APPLE TREES, WE HAVE 4 OF THOSE. THEY ALWAYS PUT OUT GOOD APPY JUICE AND PIE ;D I FORGOT TO MENTION WE HAVE STRAWBERRYS AND CUCUMBERS AND PEPPERS. WE ALSO HAVE A CHERRY TREE AND A PEACH RIGHT NEXT TO EACHOTHER (cow) AND WE GET BEEF. WE ALOT OF OUR OWN GOODIES :) WE DON'T OWN BUT 80 ACRES, MOST PASTURE LAND. NO CROPS TO PLANT HERE :)

cowz

The only good Okra is in a steaming hot pot of gumbo or breaded, deep fat fried from a K-Bob's Steakhouse in New Mexico or Oklahoma!

red

Never tried to raise Okra. Guess since I do all the work, i only grow what I like. Okra is not on my list!!!

Red

red

I case you think Red just sits on her computer all day! Here is my front flower bed. One of 7 that I've got.

Red (clapping)

Attachments

• June front yard.jpg
    June front yard.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 234

chambero

Vegetables are what food eats!  I've little to contribute here.  I'm about as close to a carnivore as a human can get.  I don't like vegetables.  It must be genetic, because try as we might, my boys are just as bad as I am despite my wife's efforts.

I used to have to help my grandpa in his gardens.  My version of hell when I was a freshman in high school was having to help my 80 year old grandpa and his buddy plow "their" 2 or 3 acre garden with a little bitty push tiller.  That was above and beyond the call of duty.

So - I don't like gardens or flower beds.  I'll vacuum, dust, clean house, mow, change diapers or about anything else, but I don't do gardening work.

red

These are from Knabe. I will let him do his own commentary on what they are. We don't grow too many flowers like that in Ohio!

Red

Attachments

• knabe's flowers.jpg
    knabe's flowers.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 195

knabe

the one on the top left is in the brodiae family.  kind of an onion.  native indians used to eat the bulbs of these.
top right is a sage, attracts native bees and bumblebees.  honey bees don't seem to like it as good.  smells profusely right now
the lower pictures are my favorite plant right now Calochortus obispoensis.  it's native the the san luis obispo county.  the flower is about a dime's size.  grows in dry climate, usually well drained.  lot's of "hair", a complete flower.  most calochortus have larger petals, which probably transpire more water.  they are grown from collected seed and take about 3-5 years to flower.  they rot really easy.  this year was my first for flowering.  i don't put them in the ground anymore, even afer making hills of well drained soil as they still rot and the gophers love them, better than tulips.

great site to purchase them from, as well as other hard to find bulbs.

http://telosrarebulbs.com/    click on the calochortus link and others in the western USA section.

when i get enough of them, i'm going to try making a reduction sauce with them to see if it warrants a roux for a steak sauce.

thanks red