How dry/wet are you?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Well, we're getting offically into summer! It's going to be in the 90's here this week. Some chances of pop-up showers. It seems that we've gotten more rain w/ them than when they are calling for rain. We've gotten about an inch here last week. Parts of the county got a little more & other sections almost nothing. Corn is curling, grass is brown & weeds starting to take over some places.
How is your weather been? I know some area like Kentucky are really dry. While other areas like parts of Texas were wet. How about you?

Red ( still praying for rain)

SKF

It's HOT and dry here in south Florida!! We have had a few rain drops but we need a lot more!!!!

DLD

I almost hate to say it, 'cause I know how dry some of you are, and we've been there for past several years, last year especially. But we're really wet - most folks around here say we've had somewhere around 36" since the first of the year, which is a little over our average annual rainfall, and 3 times what we had all of last year. It's been so dry for so long that I swore I'd never wish it away again, but I'd sure share it with you guys that are needing it. In our current pattern, we're getting rain every day. Alot of people still have wheat in the field, and alot of it is starting to sprout in the heads. We were lucky and managed to get almost all of our wheat hay and the grass we've put up so far, baled with little to no rain on it. I've got more standing grass than I can remember and 3 times as much hay baled already than I had to feed all year last year...

I really do hope you folks that are needing rain get some soon.

David

clifflem

DLD, I know what you mean.  Here in NW OK we are green and the grass looks great.  Last year we never got enough rain to make our grass start and we would only get showers and green it up for 2-3 days and then get 100+ degree days and it would look like it had never done anything.  We haven't gotten any rain to speak of in the last few days, just 90% humidity and clouds.  Looks rainy here this morning and maybe we will get some in the next day or two.  Having too much grass and hay is a problem we usually don't have.

OH Breeder

Red as you know we are just a few miles apart. ALot of the rain that has fallen has missed us. My hay guy told me that rounds could be up to 100 a round by fall. The hay crop has been 50-75% less than normal harvest. Reports of $5.00 bale as well. Looks like we will be feeding alfafa cubes at those prices. UGH!

red

I've heard of 1" differences in the county just across the road from each other. Big variance.

Red

shortyjock89

Well, in the last week we have had over 2" but on the whole, we have been too dry for too long.  Dad says that we will harvest wheat at 17% and take the dock at the elevator just so we can get the Haymaker in and hopefully get two cuttings of it.  We are gonna sell a good number of our cows this fall so we don't have to feed so much hay.  We'll have plenty of squares, but im not sure about rounds...I hope we can get some bought before they get too pricey....I know that we have had more rain than our friends in the South, and we're praying for you everyday.  At least we're still better off than Australia where they had to buy water for about 8 of the last 10 years....

afhm

I don't think there is ever a happy medium either its way too hot and dry or so wet you can't even get in the fields.

bluegrass

Well we finally got a little rain here but it was very little. I have not mowed my yard since may 14th and usually mow once a week this time of year. There have been a couple areas near us that got 2" and we never got a drop.

cherokee1

It is so dry here, that we  havent had to change the babies diaper for 2 weeks.  :D  Crack myself up!!!  Seriously though, we need some rain, been hot here in the 95+++ range. Cooler the last couple days, but supposed to be HOT HOT HOT again this weekend.

bluegrass

It is so dry here the cows will only give powdered milk. Lol. We got another short shower today I might get to mow my yard next month. I have never seen it this dry here.

jason

We have had a steady rain since this afternoon and it is not 2:00 am and still raining.  (clapping)

red

We just watched the radar last night. A storm got close to us divided up & went around us & then hit the next county.
The beans are lying flat in places because of the heat & dry comditions. Don't like to see that. Corn will star pollinating soon. Need it to be a little cooler for that. They guys will start cutting wheat next week unless we get a huge rain.

Red

red

We're getting a nice shower this afternoon. doesn't look like it's goning to amount to much though.

Need some more & all over please!!!!

Red

Jill

We have had 4 inches in the last 24 hours or so, I would love to share some of it with anyone, we have had our fair share this year, but the crops look great.

DL

Jill said:
We have had 4 inches in the last 24 hours or so, I would love to share some of it with anyone, we have had our fair share this year, but the crops look great.

Send it this way - 2 inches 30 miles north with flooding - here - nothing, nada, zip, zero....dry - feeding some hay and using a sacrifice pasture so as to safe the rest.....

Dale

Here in SW IN "one extreme is following another" as the saying goes.  Before the rain began on Thursday the 21st, lawns were brown, corn curled for weeks, and hay yields were reduced considerably.  People feeding hay had to feed two bales at a time--one in the crack and one on top.

Now the 51 year old neighbor farmer who had heart attack, has had over 7 inches before yesterday's rain.  County fair tractor pull was rained out this week.  Probably 60 miles away as the crow flies, Blue River is still low enough that you'd better be ready to carry your canoe several times. 

What parts of Texas are having flooding?