How goes the meeting in KC for the ASA?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davis Shorthorns

It's going pretty good.  Really well attended by many different breeders.  Lots of good information and things to think about.  I hope they do it again. 

trevorgreycattleco

Sucks I'm missing it. I've heard some good stuff from few other folks. Heard s few negative things too. Hopefully the meeting today allows the members, not just the board of directors, to help make decisions. And hopefully someone on the ASA puts forth steps they will take to gain the breed more acceptance.

j3cattleco

I guess I look at this very differently. I feel its the responsibility of each breeder to develop their own market and the associations job to create brand awareness and handle the registry. It's not their job to create a market or determine a direction for my cow herd. If a shorthorn breeder wants to develop a commercial market then create cattle that excel in your environment and let the results speak for themselves.

Joshua

mbigelow

For those whom did not or could not attend, you really missed out on a great opportunity to network and be challanged.  Good start to progress.

justintime

I thought there was a lot of food for thought and it provided a great basis for breeders to start to talk about where they want he breed to go. The association will never get into marketing our cattle, but they can help many of us create an atmosphere in which to market them. I thought the networking between breeders from all over North America was great. I am hoping they do it again next year and we can start to get into deeper discussion on some of the topics discussed. I felt it was well worth the trip to KC!

r.n.reed

It was a great experience.Great contributions to the topics from speakers and attendees as well.Bonsma was even brought up during the showring discussion.The moderator did a great job of stimulating spirited discussion on some pretty tough topics and issues.Like Matt said it was a great opportunity to meet with other breeders.Kudos to the ASA for putting on a first class program.

JPS

I felt it was a good meeting with a lot of good discussion.  Worth attending.

J

JTM

I thought it was great. The board and staff did an awesome job getting really good speakers together that gave those attending a lot to think about. I look at this whole deal as a great accomplishment because it brings together any and all breeders who wanted to show up to discuss how they can be more successful as breeders and how the breed can be more successful. The Association basically brought together some really knowledgeable people who spoke to what the commercial sector is looking for and what is bringing people success. It was a given that the commercial appeal of Shorthorns is our biggest opportunity to advance the breed. So the main focus was educating those in attendance what that would look like. There was also some discussion about the show ring and the commercial side coming together for the betterment of the breed. The collaboration of the show and commercial Shorthorn breeders was awesome to see. I personally enjoyed meeting a lot of you that I hadn't had a chance to meet before including r.n. reed, justintime, and Davis Shorthorns. I met a lot of other great people that are probably on Steer Planet too but not sure who is who. lol.  Pleasure to meet and talk to you guys and hopefully we can get some great momentum from the ideas that were discussed over the weekend.