How important is a web site?

Help Support Steer Planet:

When you see an animal or farm that interest you and you go to the web to find more how do you reac

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J2F

Just wondering how people feel about web sites. Please comment on you thoughts and feelings. I think having one now a days does not separate you and gives you an advantage but not having one could be a disadvantage now a days.

Bonus Question:  <party>What about breeders who do not do a good job updating? Does that effect your buying selection in any way?

results will post at the end of poll in 2 days.

RyanChandler

Having the website is only 10%.  Customers actually being able to find your online presence is the other 90%.  There's a reason WHR appears on even the most generic shorthorn (google) searches.

paj315

I know breeders that have them and those that don't. The ones that don't say they have no problem selling all their calves without a website.My argument is thats fine but what about getting your name out in the main stream? You can go to all the big shows around the country and meet people but having a website makes it easier for those people you meet to check out what you have from year to year . In my opinion a website doesn't necessarily sell me on someones calves but it does help narrow down whether or not its worth my time to go look someplace new or not. On the other hand it all depends on how good of a job they do updating and picturing their cattle.

pweaver

Exactly, bad pictures are worse than none.  Updating is usually only a twice a year thing, for me anyway.  For Club Calves you can update in the Spring with info and pictures of new calves and then in the Fall when you're selling them.  You could throw in one or two more with show ring successes.  But don't update unless it's going to be worth my time to look.

AAOK

Marketing, in any form, differs greatly depending on your target(s). Let's stay with Show Cattle. The under 30 customer is more apt to search Twitter and Facebook first, while the 35 - 45 crowd will drive directly to the website.  Many of your 50+ shoppers would rather thumb through a magazine, pick up their phone and call (not text) the seller.

This is why Advertising is such a huge business with only a few who really have a great deal of knowledge of the subject.

HAB

Our website has been a great tool.  Having a breed that is lesser known causes a lack of info on the internet.  Many of our customers find us through our website, as we are one of the few that have one, and keep it updated.

Steer Planet has guided many potential customers our way.  Thanks Jason

Harley

justintime

I will start by saying, that our website in probably the most important promotional tool we have ever used. My wife designed our first website almost 8 years ago now, and I am still absolutely amazed with the number of sales we get from people who visit it. i don't think our website is glossy and fancy, but it certainly does bring a pile of interest to our breeding program.... more than I have ever imagined. Each year we sell several bulls and females, to people I probably would have never met. We have literally sold hundreds of embryos through our website. In the past year we have sold 317 embryos to breeders in 8 countries and I doubt if I have spoken to 5 % of them in person. Right now, I  am assembling a shipment of embryos for Britain which will include 32 embryos we have sold since December 1st. I have not spoken to one of these people in person, but the sales have been made through emails and their looking at our website.
I even sold a set of embryos to Germany a few months ago, to a person who happened upon our website by pure chance. He said he was just surfing a few cattle siites and happened to find our website.
Early every spring, we put pictures and videos of the bulls we are selling on our website. Each year we sell bulls to people who tell me they got interested in a bull from seeing their pictures on the website. Just last night I received an email from a former bull buyer asking when we would be putting pictures of the bulls selling this year on the website.

As I said, I never in a thousand years ever dreamt that a website could be so important to marketing our breeding stock. A few months ago a guy asked me what I thought was the most important piece of machinery on our farm? After thinking about it for a little while, I told him that my computer is definitely the most important machine I own. I still believe that this is true. I agree that it is important to get your website listed with cattle sites on the net. I started by paying to have our website listed on 3 different sites. I paid for these for a couple  years but decided to discontinue 2 of them as we were not getting much response from  them.

ZNT

As others have said already, a website is a very important marketing tool.  Also said, which I completely agree with, is that you need to have an online presence to bring even more value to your website.  When people see posts on Facebook, or see links on Cattle.com, Steerplanet, Showsteers.com, etc, it makes people curious and gets them to the website.  I always like to look at my Google Analytics to see what sites are pushing traffic to my website.  Also I like to see which blogs are getting the most attention and what words people searched to get to my website.  These are all great resources you only get if you have a website.

Lastly, I have said this many times.  If you are going to have a website, you must keep it up to date.  I would argue that only updating it 2 times a year is enough.  If I go to someones website, and see the calves from the year before still on their for sale page, I most likely don't go back.  EVER!  Most breeders have cattle for sale of some sort, throughout the year, so why only list what you have for sale once a year.  If you have semen, or bred heifers, or embryos for sale, put it on the website so people know.

Just like JIT said, we have had numerous sales from our website.  Some of these customers I never meet, or even spoken to until the deal is already closed, and they are picking up the animal.  Personally, I do not call someone unless I have had a chance to research their website or Facebook first.  Even if I get an email from someone, I want to see what their operation is about before I call them.  It also makes the conversation go smoother too.  Shows you took the time to get your thoughts in order before spending their time on the phone.

J2F

Thanks for all the responses. So far I am getting confirmation on some of my feelings and learning some more that I didn't think about.

Now where are the newbies at. When you starting a herd or shopping for a show calf what impact does or doesn't a web site have? Vote and discuss.

blackdiamond

I'll 2nd the website being the most important promo tool we have.  It's amazing the level that having a website took us, not that the quality of our animals improved much, but the widespread knowledge of them did.  To date, we've sold into 18 states and Canada now- i wouldn't be close to that without a website.  One thing I did take pride in, was being able to keep the website updated.  Most other people in our breed- haven't done that. 

My 2nd most valuable promo tool of today is Facebook.  It's unreal to me the number of people that scan through my pictures and randomly send me messages about one, or want to come for a visit.  The most interesting thing to me, is telling someone about something I've got- and they're like ya, I saw that picture on FB and really liked it.  It's so easy to upload 60 pics to Facebook, and tag people in the ones you want to make sure they see... etc...etc...

Like said above, advetising in magazines is extremely important to hit the generations older than me.  The 'old timers' aren't going to be online searching for their next addition. 

Without doing all, and every kind of advertising, one doesn't sell much...

Shamefully, I need to get a website for the cattle- but haven't yet-- also need to do a better job of updating the one I have here in the last year- even though it's far better than most everyone else's....

One last thing, we don't have an expensive, fancy website- just one from freewebs.com  It does the exact same job- and is free... 

OH Breeder

What I struggle with, we have a great customer base locally. I have never advertised commercially. Most of the customers we have are what I have developed word of mouth. This year is the first year we are selling publically at the Ohio beef expo. I did an ad with Show Circuit, GREAT to work with and the first question they ask- Do you have a website, if not, Do you want one?
Well, I am content with my local folks, but I would like to get more traffic at times. So, I think as others have said, if you want that year round business and increase traffic a website can provide that extra needed interest. I like what show circuit has to offer and their design has been great. I think when you use a more mainstream media source like Ranch house, show circuit they can help with more exposure because people will visit their site verses a free sight independently sponsored. We probably will develop a website this year. I think its a must to get that added notoriety.

I like to see websites that are updated regularly. Nothing more frustrating than looking at sale calves from two years ago. I think if you are going to put the money and time into a web site then you should maintain it.

Question- a website WITH A BLOG? Better or worse. Personally, I don't follow any blogs religiously. But do you think it brings more traffic to the site?

J2F

OH Breeder said:
What I struggle with, we have a great customer base locally. I have never advertised commercially. Most of the customers we have are what I have developed word of mouth. This year is the first year we are selling publically at the Ohio beef expo. I did an ad with Show Circuit, GREAT to work with and the first question they ask- Do you have a website, if not, Do you want one?
Well, I am content with my local folks, but I would like to get more traffic at times. So, I think as others have said, if you want that year round business and increase traffic a website can provide that extra needed interest. I like what show circuit has to offer and their design has been great. I think when you use a more mainstream media source like Ranch house, show circuit they can help with more exposure because people will visit their site verses a free sight independently sponsored. We probably will develop a website this year. I think its a must to get that added notoriety.

I like to see websites that are updated regularly. Nothing more frustrating than looking at sale calves from two years ago. I think if you are going to put the money and time into a web site then you should maintain it.

Question- a website WITH A BLOG? Better or worse. Personally, I don't follow any blogs religiously. But do you think it brings more traffic to the site?

MO is depends greatly on content and delivery. Has the potential to go both ways and take up a lot of time. I do not follow any blog religiously either but I do friend and follow on facebook and twitter. Interesting topics or pic's will draw me to web sites frequently to check it out.

RyanChandler

Blogs increase the content of your page and make your sight much more accessible through search engines.  More content the better.

Red Cow Relocators

From our sale managment business side of things, our website is very important. It allows our customers to keep track of where and when we'll be at various sales around the North American continent. We have also started a semen sales business and the website allows us to ad more bulls to our lineup without having to constantly reprint the directory. We also post links to catalogs for upcoming sales that we are involved with. It absolutely amazes me the number of people that check the site regularly and the number of people who may just be surfing but end up at the website. We built and maintain our own page and update it as often as we have new information available. I feel updating is very important and it keeps the people coming back if there is something new to view when they visist the page. You can view our page at www.redcowrelocators.com or just type in red cow relocators on any search engine to get there. RCR

J2F

results are in and not having one is defiantly a disadvantage but not a deal breaker it seems at least with steer planet patrons. thanks to everyone who participated.

Tallcool1

I am not an expert in the cattle industry in any way shape of form.  I can however offer what I feel MAY be a unique perspective on this.  Let me explain.

I was raised in the cattle industry, and showed both purebred cattle and show steers.

I have been completely away from cattle/show cattle for 20+ years.

I got back into the show steer hobby last year with my youngest kids.  (Had some extra money that we wanted to throw away!  HA HA HA)

I am going to give you the customer's point of view......your prospective customer, that you don't even know exists.

I know and understand A LOT about internet exposure, websites, e commerce, social network, etc.,...I own a car dealership, and 75% of our customers are on our website before they buy.

So here is my take on this whole thing.  When we decided to show steers about a year ago, I had basically no idea where to start.  So the easy answer is lets head out to some club calf sales and check them out.  Well guess what?  They don't have those anymore.  Nope, they do those on the internet.  So I find a couple internet auction sites and start watching on line auctions until I see one that is really close to home.  I look at the pictures and the videos, they look pretty good, so I load up the kids and drive over to walk through the calves.  I am pretty sure that we are at the wrong place.  These calves don't look anything like the pictures and I quickly figure out that I am in way over my head. 

So we head back home, I think things over, and I quickly come to the conclusion that I am going to have to rely on something more than a picture or a video to buy steers.  I am going to either have to find an old friend that is still in the business or I am going to have to find one of these internet based sales where I can call the guy and figure out if I can trust him.  How do you think I sorted through all of these on line auctions?  Website.  No website, no phone call.  The end.  Why do you suppose I did that?  Reputation.  Your website is PUBLISHED VALIDATION OF YOUR REPUTATION.  Your track record in the show ring is proof that you sell good steers, if it is at the county, district, state, or national level.  It does not matter what the level, it is proof. 

Now, so as to not hurt any egos on here, some of you are going to say "Well by gosh I have sold 2 Denver Champions, 4 Kansas City, 2 Ft Worth, State Fair, blah blah blah...and I darn sure shouldn't need some website for you to figure that there stuff out".  So I don't hurt your feelings if you are "that guy"...I don't care what you have done, because I don't know about it.  I have been away from it for 25 years, and I don't care what you have done...I am looking for a $5,000 steer to win a couple small jackpot classes and a county fair and all I have to go on is a laptop and your reputation.  There are more of us out there than you think, and there are more coming.  I know we just got back into it, and I have personally talked with 3 old friends that are in the same situation as me.  Away from it for a long time and wanting to start up again, but have no idea where to start.

If you don't have a website, get one.  If you have one, KEEP IT CURRENT.  Take a picture of the spring thaw, or a blizzard, or your kids basketball game, or who cares what, but update your website.  If you do, people will come back to it.  Do something on your website so that your customers know that you are taking it serious.  Have a "Winners" tab, but they don't have to win a show to be pictured.  I really don't understand that.  If you sell someone a good steer and they do a good job, and the calf takes a good picture...the kind of picture that will help you sell more steers, then post the picture!  If you do, people will come back.  Post content on your website that is relevant to the industry and your operation and interesting.  Express your opinions, and tell the world that you thought little Suzie (that is pictured) should have won that class because ______ , and we are proud of you Suzie.  If you do, people will come back.  (Stay away from politics and religion...REALLY, stay away from it.)  If you sell a steer to a trader, keep track of him.  If that trader is a well known trader, post that information on your website (with the permission of the trader of course).  That information is relative, interesting, validating, and it enhances your reputation.  When you do that, people will come back.

Social Networking such as Facebook and Twitter are a whole different conversation.  I believe that they are exactly what it says...Social.  Spread the word, stay in touch, here is what is going on, blah blah blah.  Does it actually sell anything?  Well, that is kind of a loaded question.  Advertising "could" be split into two distinctive categories.  Price and item, and Institutional.  Price and Item would consist of March Monopoly Steer, super stout, 625#, $3500.  Or Monopoly 2 Semen $25/straw.  Price and Item advertising can be done through social networking, and can actually sell product HOWEVER, it will actually only sell low ticket items on a consistent basis.  Institutional advertising would consist of XYZ Show Steers On line Auction Coming up February 12th, Check out our website.  Institutional advertising does not directly sell anything, but indirectly...yes. 

Does Facebook and Twitter actually sell product?  No.  It will drive traffic to your website, which WILL sell product.  Go ahead, let me have it.  I don't mind.  If you think you are going to get a Facebook page and sell any cattle with it, you are wrong......with the only exception being IF you are using your Facebook page AS IF it were a website (which is actually pretty stupid no offense).  That is actually pretty funny...you're stupid, but don't be offended?

If anyone is considering a website, but feels overwhelmed by it, or doesn't understand it, PLEASE send me a PM.  Do not feel ashamed to ask me any question, no matter how stupid you think it is.  I am so grateful and thankful for this site.  I have learned so much on here in the past year and a half, and I have not run across one person that would not help me.  I can and will help you with this.  It is not that hard, and it is not nearly as confusing as lots of people want you to believe it is.  I will even show you my website, and how it works from the inside out.

OH Breeder

Tallcool1 said:
I am not an expert in the cattle industry in any way shape of form.  I can however offer what I feel MAY be a unique perspective on this.  Let me explain.

I was raised in the cattle industry, and showed both purebred cattle and show steers.

I got back into the show steer hobby last year with my youngest kids.  (Had some extra money that we wanted to throw away!  HA HA HA)

I am going to give you the customer's point of view......your prospective customer, that you don't even know exists.

I know and understand A LOT about internet exposure, websites, e commerce, social network, etc.,...I own a car dealership, and 75% of our customers are on our website before they buy.

So here is my take on this whole thing.  When we decided to show steers about a year ago, I had basically no idea where to start.  So the easy answer is lets head out to some club calf sales and check them out.  Well guess what?  They don't have those anymore.  Nope, they do those on the internet.  So I find a couple internet auction sites and start watching on line auctions until I see one that is really close to home.  I look at the pictures and the videos, they look pretty good, so I load up the kids and drive over to walk through the calves.  I am pretty sure that we are at the wrong place.  These calves don't look anything like the pictures and I quickly figure out that I am in way over my head. 

So we head back home, I think things over, and I quickly come to the conclusion that I am going to have to rely on something more than a picture or a video to buy steers.  I am going to either have to find an old friend that is still in the business or I am going to have to find one of these internet based sales where I can call the guy and figure out if I can trust him.  How do you think I sorted through all of these on line auctions?  Website.  No website, no phone call.  The end.  Why do you suppose I did that?  Reputation.  Your website is PUBLISHED VALIDATION OF YOUR REPUTATION.  Your track record in the show ring is proof that you sell good steers, if it is at the county, district, state, or national level.  It does not matter what the level, it is proof. 

Now, so as to not hurt any egos on here, some of you are going to say "Well by gosh I have sold 2 Denver Champions, 4 Kansas City, 2 Ft Worth, State Fair, blah blah blah...and I darn sure shouldn't need some website for you to figure that there stuff out".  So I don't hurt your feelings if you are "that guy"...I don't care what you have done, because I don't know about it.  I have been away from it for 25 years, and I don't care what you have done...I am looking for a $5,000 steer to win a couple small jackpot classes and a county fair and all I have to go on is a laptop and your reputation.  There are more of us out there than you think, and there are more coming.  I know we just got back into it, and I have personally talked with 3 old friends that are in the same situation as me.  Away from it for a long time and wanting to start up again, but have no idea where to start.

If you don't have a website, get one.  If you have one, KEEP IT CURRENT.  Take a picture of the spring thaw, or a blizzard, or your kids basketball game, or who cares what, but update your website.  If you do, people will come back to it.  Do something on your website so that your customers know that you are taking it serious.  Have a "Winners" tab, but they don't have to win a show to be pictured.  I really don't understand that.  If you sell someone a good steer and they do a good job, and the calf takes a good picture...the kind of picture that will help you sell more steers, then post the picture!  If you do, people will come back.  Post content on your website that is relevant to the industry and your operation and interesting.  Express your opinions, and tell the world that you thought little Suzie (that is pictured) should have won that class because ______ , and we are proud of you Suzie.  If you do, people will come back.  (Stay away from politics and religion...REALLY, stay away from it.)  If you sell a steer to a trader, keep track of him.  If that trader is a well known trader, post that information on your website (with the permission of the trader of course).  That information is relative, interesting, validating, and it enhances your reputation.  When you do that, people will come back.

Social Networking such as Facebook and Twitter are a whole different conversation.  I believe that they are exactly what it says...Social.  Spread the word, stay in touch, here is what is going on, blah blah blah.  Does it actually sell anything?  Well, that is kind of a loaded question.  Advertising "could" be split into two distinctive categories.  Price and item, and Institutional.  Price and Item would consist of March Monopoly Steer, super stout, 625#, $3500.  Or Monopoly 2 Semen $25/straw.  Price and Item advertising can be done through social networking, and can actually sell product HOWEVER, it will actually only sell low ticket items on a consistent basis.  Institutional advertising would consist of XYZ Show Steers On line Auction Coming up February 12th, Check out our website.  Institutional advertising does not directly sell anything, but indirectly...yes. 

Does Facebook and Twitter actually sell product?  No.  It will drive traffic to your website, which WILL sell product.  Go ahead, let me have it.  I don't mind.  If you think you are going to get a Facebook page and sell any cattle with it, you are wrong......with the only exception being IF you are using your Facebook page AS IF it were a website (which is actually pretty stupid no offense).  That is actually pretty funny...you're stupid, but don't be offended?

If anyone is considering a website, but feels overwhelmed by it, or doesn't understand it, PLEASE send me a PM.  Do not feel ashamed to ask me any question, no matter how stupid you think it is.  I am so grateful and thankful for this site.  I have learned so much on here in the past year and a half, and I have not run across one person that would not help me.  I can and will help you with this.  It is not that hard, and it is not nearly as confusing as lots of people want you to believe it is.  I will even show you my website, and how it works from the inside out.

So how do you feel as a newby again when you go to a site and they dont have a "winners" page or the winners are mostly local shows or county level? some small produces only target a more local market and are content with that level of competition. Not to say their genetics are not of the caliber for state or a national level. You offer alot of valid points for someone who is mulling the idea over. thanks for taking the time to put it all out there.

Tallcool1

So how do you feel as a newby again when you go to a site and they dont have a "winners" page or the winners are mostly local shows or county level? some small produces only target a more local market and are content with that level of competition. Not to say their genetics are not of the caliber for state or a national level. You offer alot of valid points for someone who is mulling the idea over. thanks for taking the time to put it all out there.

To me, I think it is important that you have a "winners" page...or a "Our Customers" page, or whatever you want to call it.  It serves two purposes.  First off, it shows your prospective buyer what your cattle look like and how competitive they are.  It also shows your prospective buyer that you will care about them, keep track of them, and be there AFTER the sale.

I do not think that it matters if you are doing business on a national or local level.  It is all relative.  It means just as much to the little kid two towns over to get his picture in the local newspaper as it does for the Shell Oil Sisters to make the cover of Show Times Magazine.  The truth is......it probably means MORE!  There is a market for every level of show steer, because every show has a different level.  The bottom lines is that YOU can make this little kid famous!  

To answer your question, I would rather go on your website, and see your Winners/Our Customers page, and see that you are selling the type of steers that are not on my level........than to see no pictures at all.  At least if I see the pictures, I will know that I can't afford one of your steers or I will know that I am looking for a little more steer than you are raising.  Oh, and while we are on this subject, you guys that are selling these steers that are getting half way to 6 figures.  You know, the steers that win the big one and under the picture it says "Shown by Mikey Microsoft, Sired by Monopoly (or whichever bull owner claims him first...sort of like the 10 second rule when you drop food on the floor), Sold by Trader 1, Trader2, Trader3, Trader4, Trader5, Trader 6, Trader 7, and Smith, Placed by Someone Else".  Are you guys clear on who I am talking to?  You guys need to put the pictures of YOUR county fair winners on your site too.  People will FLOCK to your place to buy $2500 steers!

For those of you that have no problem selling your inventory right around home and you are just pretty darn happy with that.  Don't need no website cuz I ain't got no more cattle to sell anyhow!  What a website will do for you is it will bring you more people that are looking for EXACTLY the kind of cattle that you are raising.  It will allow you to create a higher demand which in turn will drive the price of your cattle up.  Unless the internet is in fact just a fad.

GONEWEST

Tallcool1 said:

^^^^ What he said.

This is a guy who has real world experience. He is telling you like it  really is. Not how you think it is, not how it should be, might be, but how it is. He is a BUSINESS person, not a good ol' boy or a cowboy. He knows what he is talking about. Applying practices that work in other businesses to agriculture seems to be a novel concept to many.

The fact that most agriculture people are not astute business people drives me nuts. Many have millions of dollars of assets, manage millions of dollars of cash flow and yet have no business acumen. Take for example a tale of two breed associations in the late 80's. The Simmental association board was made up of some of the best known cattlemen in the country. The Angus association board, along with some good cattlemen, is flush with wealthy businessmen who have made their wealth in something other than cattle. CAB began in 1978 and stayed relatively dormant for years until the Angus breed was really about to become a non factor. But successful business men like the owner of the famous Gallagher's NY prime Steakhouse were able to use two things the Angus breed had that no other breed did. One, black color. But most importantly name recognition among the vast number of consumers that had no experience or education in agriculture except at the dinner table. They used business and marketing principals that worked in other industries and it forever changed the landscape of the beef industry in America.  The good cattlemen of the Simmental association kept trying to raise good cattle and now.....................ooops, they are black.