how is planting going this year

Help Support Steer Planet:

how far along are you or area compared to other years?

• way ahead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • little ahead

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • normal

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • little behind

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • way behind

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • haven't started

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

red

Just was curious how it was looking for you or your area for the planting season. Here we've just barely gotten started w/ corn & no beans planted. Our northern farms too wet to even start. We got rained out Friday & Saturday & sitting still today. How are you doing or others in your area?

Red  :p  :-\

shortyjock89

We're doin OK, but we're a small farm.  We have almost all of our corn planted, but no beans.  We were able to really move quick once the ground dried up a little. 

Not to Hijack the thread, but how do all of you that farm and show in the fall make it to the American Royal?

red

we don't go to the royal but the NAILE. Usually by that time we're about done or winding up. No way could we got to the Royal. Denver is also out because the hubby could never get around on crutches & do that muc walking. Maybe some year I'll have to make that my mini vacation!

Red

shortdawg

Watermelons, Tobacco, and Cantaloupes are all in the ground and doing well. We should have melons in about 30-35 days. We will start on Peanuts and Cotton within the next week.

aj

The ground temperature is just barely warm enough here. No rain.Alot of guys are going though. I heard a guy on the radio said 10$ corn was a possibility.That seems kinda wild but the funds keep bidding stuff up.

red

hubby is spraying today. I think they are going from farm to farm seeing were it's most fit.

I heard that MO was at a critical stage & some hadn't even started yet.

Red

sawboss

Shortdawg, What variety of watermelons does best in your area, growth and market value?  We have 25 acres planted this year, late frost and high winds have really hurt here.

kanshow

We are done with corn planting.  I expect they'll get started on beans later this week - depending on the rains and soil temps. 

There used to be a lot of watermelons grown in our area.  Currently there is only one guy that still grows them.    We really have to be careful when we spray... 

AAOK

How To Plant Your Garden

First, you  Come to the garden alone,
                        while the dew is still on the roses....

For the garden of your daily living,

PLANT THREE ROWS OF PEAS:

1. Peace of mind
              2. Peace of heart
                                3. Peace of soul

PLANT FOUR ROWS OF SQUASH:

1. Squash gossip
2. Squash indifference
3. Squash grumbling
4. Squash selfishness

PLANT FOUR ROWS OF LETTUCE:

1. Lettuce be faithful

2. Lettuce be kind
3. Lettuce be patient
4. Lettuce really love one another

NO GARDEN IS WITHOUT TURNIPS:

1. Turnip for meetings
                  2. Turnip for Sunday service
                    3. Turnip to help one another

TO CONCLUDE OUR GARDEN WE MUST HAVE THYME:

1. Thyme for each other
    2. Thyme for family
                              3. Thyme for friends

4. Thyme for Jesus

WATER FREELY WITH PATIENCE
AND CULTIVATE WITH LOVE.   
THERE IS MUCH FRUIT IN YOUR GARDEN
BECAUSE YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW. 
NOT BAD, HUH?!

red

thank you so much!!! I really needed to be reminded of that today & every day!  (thumbsup)  (angel)

Red

oakbar

The farmers just got going good here in northern Iowa the last couple of days.  A very few acres of corn were planted a couple of weeks ago but they'll need to be replanted due to the seed just getting wet and mushy in the cold, wet weather we've had the last few weeks.  I'm sure a lot of people will be stuck in the next few days because the ground is not really dry enough yet but some are going just because they are sick of sitting around.  Looks pretty shiny behind some of the machinery in the fields.  I think the Des Moines Register said this morning that 18% of the corn is planted in Iowa right now versus 48% a year ago.  If the weather holds for the next week they'll have most of the corn planted, though.  They can cover a lot of acres in a short amount of time with the size of the machinery now.
My farmer friends had been getting a little grumpy until the sun came out the last 3 days.

I was in southern IN last week.  It didn't look like they were doing very much field work either and I think they normally would run at least 3 weeks ahead of us.

kanshow

Anyone get their first cutting of Alfalfa up?  We chopped one field and put it in the bag but the rest of the Alfalfa is late this year.  We really need some warm grow days. 

red

ours is finally starting to grow. We topdressed the other week. I just know chopping will start & we'll still be planting. They've never gotten desperate enough for Old Red but you never know!

Red

kanshow

There was a day last week with about 2 hours of desparation here...  I drove a tractor pulling wagons back & forth.  I don't know who was more relieved to see help arrive.. Me or the guys  :D

Our alfalfa isn't very tall yet and hasn't started to bloom.  I think the field they chopped is going into something else and that's why they took it off. 

Our big problem right now is that the native grass is not doing anything.  We still have cows in the lots that should be out on pasture.   

aj

I've got 500 acres of dryland corn planted. Stuff from 2 weeks ago just starting a shoot about a inch long cause ground temperature not high enough. Mosburger has 48 circles in already I've heard. Grass not growing...to cool. We are dry here but 70% chance of rain tonight. We had a little blizzard friday night...had 15 cows drifted 3 miles in one inch of snow and 70 mph wind.Its weird...omg. ;D

red

aj said:
I've got 500 acres of dryland corn planted. Stuff from 2 weeks ago just starting a shoot about a inch long cause ground temperature not high enough. Mosburger has 48 circles in already I've heard. Grass not growing...to cool. We are dry here but 70% chance of rain tonight. We had a little blizzard friday night...had 15 cows drifted 3 miles in one inch of snow and 70 mph wind.Its weird...omg. ;D

it's OMG!!!!!! you have to capitalize & put in the exclamation marks! The more drama the better.  ;)

shortdawg

Sawboss,

This year we have planted Summer Flavor 790 seeded watermelons and Trillion seedless. We did use some Regency seeded for pollinators also. They have been the best seeded variety we've ever grown. The diagram with the p's and s's is the pattern we use in the fields with seedless in them. The p's are the pollinators such as the 790's and Regency and the s's are the seedless watermelons. I'm not sure how much you know about growing seedless melons but the seedless (triploid) need the seeded (diploid) for pollen to produce fruit. They do make some pollinators that produce small melons that you don't harvest but we don't use them; we have a good market for the seeded locally if need be. I would say 80 % of our seedless go north of the border into Canada. We grow at least a 100 acres every year and try to produce around 50,000 lbs/acre. I love growing melons because they reflect what you put into them.
pppppppppppppp
ssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssss  - These rows are 9 ft. apart and 30 inches in the drill all planted on black plastic.
ssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssss
ppppppppppppp

sawboss

Shortdawg, We plant Summer Flavor 710, Big Stripe, Black Diamond, West Texas White (yellow meated) Seedless cross pollinated with Jubilee.  We plant our rows 12' apart and plant the Jubilee every 4th plant in our seedless and all melons are viable. S S S J S S S J......etc.  Our best eating melon is the Hybrid 710 also grows to the perfect market size for here, 40-60 lbs. with most going to the Houston area.  The boys have a blast selling the culls during the summer in front of the house at $5/melon and make pretty good money for their steer projects.  They do hate harvesting them in the 100 degree heat!  We have learned a tremendous amount of knowledge from an 80 year old mentor and his 67 year old younger brother.  They have told the boys they are living on a gold mine, the youngest wanted to know where to find it.  Mr. Bill said just keep plowing the soil and planting melons it will come to you.  He assures them they can put themselves through college on our 70 ac. farm, if they are willing to put in the work.  You know the amount of work involved, let me know how your crop does and good luck to all with all of your crops.

garett

My dad helps a guy plant up here in Northern MO and they havent even gotten started yet planting, with some more rain early this morning it looks like the season is going to be delayed even more!

Jill

6 dollar corn is only good IF you can get the corn in, it is supposed to rain all week here AGAIN, on the plus side the pastures and hay fields look great.