How is the Weather?

Help Support Steer Planet:

TxAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
In east central Kansas it is snowing pretty hard and super slick out.  We still haven't gotten rid of the ice earlier in the week.

austin

cowz said:
:'( It is so cold in Colorado.  Lots of snow, lots of ice, lots of wind.  My first calf of the year was in my kitchen for a couple of days.  My driveway blows in everyday.  HOW'S THAT FOR WHINING????    (THANKS, I FEEL BETTER NOW!)
In your kitchen? That is dedication and care.  :)

cowz

Yikes!  Having calves in the kitchen kind of sounds like the Beverly Hillbillies, HUH?    On good AI calves, I really hate to lose the ears from freezing!  This guy's mom wasn't too thrilled about him for the first couple of days and the wind chill outside was -20.  Heat lamps don't make much of an impact when the wind keeps it so cold.  He was reunited with mom and they are doing great now.  We had a little one day blizzard today, but it is supposed to get up to 45 this week.  Look out Bahamas!!!

red

Here in Ohio we had our FIRST :eek: snowfall of the season last week. Hard to believe we've gone this long without snow. but rain, that's been a different story. we were up about 5" for the year. Somedays have gotten as much as 3". It has been a sloppy, muddy mess here. I was actually glad to see the colder temps to freeze the ground some.
right now there are light flurries in the air & the sun is out 8). A really beautiful day in the buckeye state. I might go out & wash a heifer.
I had to laugh about the calf in the kitchen, Cowz! I remember having baby lambs in our bathroom when I was growing up. Glad that momma decided to be a good mother.
Red

red

Anyhow, mom was always a good sport and let us bring them in the house to play!  We used to make them mazes and jumps out of chairs and couch cushions.  This was all fun until one day Mom saw one of the little buggers chewing on the curtains!  No more lambs in the house!

Oh, cowz that is so funny! I had a bachelor uncle that used to let lambs in his house. They would bounce on his leather couch.

We are really taking a nose dive with the temps. Have hit the high for the day. I don't think anything will get washed today. I will be the first to admit it: "I am a whimp when it comes to washing in the cold" There, I said it. My goal in life is to get an indoor wash rack! :p
Red

red

Woke up this morning in Ohio with the temp at about 25 degrees. It's dropped 10 degrees since this morning. Snow is blowing & drifting so bad they've canceled school in the area. Supposed to be worse next week. Ah, winter is now here! :'(
Red

justme

ITs terrible here in Missouri lol (dog)my Corgi's bellies are cold lol.  Its about -15 with windchill here.  I'm ready for spring!!!

red

my blue heeler won't even come out of the garage. It's bad to have a corgi w/ a cold belly! how do you keep the ice from forming on it?
Red

DL

Reggie - Where in NY? Tell me western NY and you are a Sabres fan and make my day!

Michigan - cold - snow - wind - but sun
Sun makes it all OK, frozen hydrants and frozen net wrap!
About minus 10 here with wind chill
Calf is still wearing polar fleece coat - heck it is Michigan she may wear it until she is weaned  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Red thanks for the cow, but she is a Holstein, we must find a beef cow! (cow) (cow) (cow)

Show Heifer

Iowa: Very cold and windy. High for the next 5 days in the single digits, at night in the negatives, and that is all without the wind chill.  Still have snow and ice on the ground. Most of my waterers are NOW ok (I worked on a few). And I don't start calving for 3 weeks! :)
I can honestly say I don't mind the cold, but I hate (and I do mean HATE) the wind. The only thing worse than wind, is having mud WITH the wind!
And yes, I have had lambs AND calves in my kitchen/dining room where I have a wood stove and hard wood floors.

cowz

Show Heifer said:
Iowa: Very cold and windy. High for the next 5 days in the single digits, at night in the negatives, and that is all without the wind chill.  Still have snow and ice on the ground. Most of my waterers are NOW ok (I worked on a few). And I don't start calving for 3 weeks! :)
I can honestly say I don't mind the cold, but I hate (and I do mean HATE) the wind. The only thing worse than wind, is having mud WITH the wind!
And yes, I have had lambs AND calves in my kitchen/dining room where I have a wood stove and hard wood floors.

Welcome to the group here Show Heifer!  When we get down to the mud discussion in a few weeks this ought to be interesting.  I am now ready for enough sunshine to create mud!  We were just down to the haystack counting straw bales...wondering if we have enough to get through calving.    Keep us posted in life in Iowa!

showcattlegal

It is really cold down here in new mexico. I'm so sick of  the snow, but i know we will actually have some grass early this year so i guess i can't complane.
lacey

red

Showcattlegirl- what is cold in New Mexico? I bet you just aren't real prepared for it!
We are going to be -5 this weekend. without wind chill. no, show for me.
Red

showcattlegal

red said:
Showcattlegirl- what is cold in New Mexico? I bet you just aren't real prepared for it!
We are going to be -5 this weekend. without wind chill. no, show for me.
Red
well Lastnight it was -12 and it got 22 today. which isn't to bad. what has made it a lot worse is the wind. which is pretty normal for this time around here. We are at 6500 ft above see level. so we are colder then most parts of our state. we have had more snow this year then the last 3 combined.
lacey

red

See, I didn't know that about N. Mexico. I need there were places to ski but never dreamed you got so cold.
Thanks for letting me know!
Red

showcattlegal

your welcome. there is a lot of good places to ski when theres enough snow (lol). the bad thing about where we are at is the big changes in the temp. in may it could get to 80 during the day and around 35 or so at night. thats pretty much the same in the fall which is not fun durning weaning.
lacey

austin

showcattlegal said:
your welcome. there is a lot of good places to ski when theres enough snow (lol). the bad thing about where we are at is the big changes in the temp. in may it could get to 80 during the day and around 35 or so at night. thats pretty much the same in the fall which is not fun durning weaning.
lacey

That's is interesting. You learn something new everyday.