How late

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mainevent

Hey guys, I have a cow that was due this week and was wondering. How late can a cow have a calf and the calf still be alive?
Thanks

DTW

trademark said:
one week,  tops.
Sorry to say i have had cows that were 10 to 14  days overdue in the past.  Alot of those were full throttles in the past.  Also depends on what calving dates you are using.

justintime

I have had ET calves from the same flush, arrive 18 days apart on more than one occasion, and all have been parentage tested by DNA. I have heard of them going even longer than this. I would say that Trademark is not correct in saying one week .. tops. I routinely see more than a one week variation in gestation length between different sires.

afhm

How long have any of you had calves go past the due date and still turn out to be a.i. calves?

justintime

Gestation tables are basically averages, and there are always some that come earlier, and some that are later.... as well as some that are much later. I would think that most will calve within 2 or 3 days of the suggested calving date, but genetics and several other factors can affect this.

SPL

I had a set of 3 Mossy Oak embryo calves one year.  First was born 1 week late, second was born 2 weeks late, and third was 3 weeks late.  They were all huge, progressively larger on each one.  The last one weighed 130 pounds.

OH Breeder

Here is my dilemma there are young folks that take answers on this board very literal. Trademark is that truly what you believe or are you being sarcastic? I have followed some of your post and I can't make out if that statement was a joke or if you think a week is really the case. I always advise people to take what they hear on the internet with a grain of salt. Some young person may take what you say for real with poor outcomes. I think JIT is on the money and there are a lot of variables. It never hurts to ask your vet and have the cow checked. We have such a small herd everyone makes a big impact in our bottom line. Its worth the vet trip to me to have them checked.

Rocky Hill Simmental

Usually a cow will calve within 2 weeks of her due date (2 weeks before or 2 weeks after). They can have a calf within a month of their due date and be fine. I wouldn't worry too much yet but it's always best to keep an eye on her.

DL

trademark said:
one week,  tops.
Sorry - wrong

There was a study done with Angus heifers about 500 hundred of them as I recall - all AI'ed to calve on March 1st - if you know what a bell shaped curve is then picture it going out in either direction from March 1st - most calved around March 1st - within a couple of days - but some were way out 14 days either way

Thus 14 days after the due date is not abnormal

Again calving dates are averages and they differ for breeds - and consequently they will differ depending on the breed of the sire and dam

Its biology

Mainevent

Hey guys, thanks for your help she had her calf this morning, an 80 pound bull calf and he is bright eyed and bushy tailed.