How long do you rinse?

Help Support Steer Planet:

blackcows

I am new to the site and have really enjoyed reading the forum and was looking at some of the articles on the home page this morning.  The article on summer hair care suggested rinsing 3 or 4 times a day for at least 30 minutes.  We currently have 6 head tied up so at 30 minutes, 4 times a day that would be 12 hours of rinsing which is not possible with everything else we need to get done during the day.  We rinse in the morning when we get the cattle in, once in the early afternoon, and in the evening before turing out, usually just long enough to get them good and wet,  In my opinion one of the most important factors in growing hair is to get the calves out of the sun.

Mike

bjs

I believe there is something (I don't remember the exact name of it) that cools the calf's body temperature down when rinsing for 5 minutes on each side of the calf.  This is a continuous rinse on the body and it has worked for me most of the time, but if you are like me and don't have a cooler, some calves just don't grow hair in the summer because they have to have it in the genetics too IMO.

Wow six head for 30 minutes 4 times a day is like a job!  Hope this helps

justme

At clipping camp he said at least 5 minutes.  that is enough time to cool the body down.  My professor in college said the most important place to rinse to cool an animal is her underbelly.  Said it cools her organs faster.  Not sure if its true, but I rinse everything, then hit the underbelly for a majority of the time.

inthebarnagain

Rinse the sides until saturated and clean and then soak until they shiver the underbelly.  The largest vein they have on the surface (milk vein) is directly down their midline and carries all the cooled blood around their body. 

showsteer09

I rince for at least 15 mins but I am inside with fans.. If u are out side it could take forever to get one cool............ Well Hope it helps..... O0