How long do YOU turn one out before calving

Help Support Steer Planet:

SSIMMENTALS

Hey guys, When you have a show heifer, how long before calving do you kick her out of the show barn/feed? We have had some bad luck in the past with them being too fat; fed good until 2 months before calving. This year, we had one due in January. Put her out Aug-Oct1. Back in for 2 weeks, small show in mid oct, and then back out. She was fine.

Suppose you had one that was going to be shown in mid Nov with a long trailer ride. Would you feel comfortable with her being out Aug-Oct 1. Back in till the show. Out afterwards and calving late January?I would really like to show her in nov, however, I have been a tick concerned and am considering sucking it up and just doing what we did this year and not taking her in nov. I do not want to sacrifice her for a show, no matter how big of a show it is. What is your opinion/experience? Thanks

J

JTM

I have gotten along better when putting them out earlier like right after they are bred as long as they have enough quality feed to continue to grow and are in good condition. Sometimes those fat show heifers don't want to try as hard at calving because they are spoiled and you may be causing the calf to be larger if she is being fed a lot of grain just before calving.

McM93

Any feed over minimal maintenance in the last trimester scares me.JMO