How long does your fair take to send you the check from the sale??

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jeferin

We have Agstar clerk our sale. So all buyers pay before they leave the sale. Then the checks are given to the kids at the carcass contest 7 days later.

It should never be more than 2 weeks.

farmin female

all I can say is WOW - and I thought our fair board was bad at times.  Our checks are held for appx 4 weeks after the fair so that they can be distributed at the buyers banquet.  The add-on period is also held open indefinitely so that anyone can add to an exhibitors account.  From what I have been told, most buyers have paid within a couple of weeks of sale.  If money comes in after any of this, the fair cuts another check. 

There is absolutely no excuse for the fair board to withhold any funds from an exhibtor longer than 4 or 5 weeks to allow for whatever process you might have to ensure that the kids hand out the thank yous and such.  If the fair is using your money to pay bills, there is a problem.  Additionally, I have some heartburn in taking an animal to a processor and then letting someone else pick up the meat and not having a check in my hand.  Most farmers/ranchers are cash basis and it makes me no difference with the fair buyers.  I don't consider that animal sold until the cash is in my son's hand.

[cowgirl_up_47

Our fair takes about 2-3 weeks.

Our buyer's dinner and awards ceremony are both held before the auction. After your animal sells, you find your buyer in the bleachers and take them a buyer picture, thank you card, and whatever "buyer gift" you chose to give them.

I know "add-ons" are open for about a week after the sale, but I do not know if the buyers are required to pay before leaving the sale or not. Checks are to be picked up at a local bank 2-3 weeks after the sale.

Weaverv3

For us last year it took around a month and a half. We had add on money and sponser money and diffrent prize money and stuff like that to figure. I got my check after the last buyer chunked their peice in. Our buyers have always been good about paying. Its the same way for our hogs too.

Ruchian

We sell on Saturday and get checks Sunday after turning in a thank you note.

Bradenh

farmin female said:
  If the fair is using your money to pay bills, there is a problem. 
they take 25 percent out of every single check to pay bills and to pay the board members..... and then after the sale and during the fair you do 2 hrs of community service or they take out another25 percent with no exeptions.... i hate it!!!! because my fair was in the first part of june and ive done all my requirements and havnt seen a dime

Jeferin

Show stopper 95 said:
farmin female said:
they take 25 percent out of every single check to pay bills and to pay the board members..... and then after the sale and during the fair you do 2 hrs of community service or they take out another25 percent with no exeptions.... i hate it!!!! because my fair was in the first part of june and ive done all my requirements and havnt seen a dime

That is ridiculous!!!

farmin female

Show stopper 95 said:
farmin female said:

That has to be the most outrageous thing I have heard of.  Any member on your board who says they are doing it for the kids is not.  Our members are not paid.  They are reimbursed any out of pocket expenses, but nothing more.   I would impeach every member and rewrite your by-laws and then you will find out who is really in it to promote agriculture, 4-H and FFA.  Revenues to pay for the "fair" come from gate receipts, selling vendor space and revenue sharing with vendors.  A local bank handles all of the money and does not charge the kids for processing the sale monies and writing out the checks.  That 25% is completely over the top.  Our state fair charges 7% and I thought that was crazy.  

dori36

Jeferin said:
We have Agstar clerk our sale. So all buyers pay before they leave the sale. Then the checks are given to the kids at the carcass contest 7 days later.

It should never be more than 2 weeks.

I'm thinking that according to Packer & Stockyards, people selling livestock at public auction have to have checks sent out no later than 30 days.  It's the law, I think.  And the sale management has to be bonded.  No such thing as "not having enough money because bills have to be paid".  Not legal, I think.