how long for b12

Help Support Steer Planet:

jasper

evening all........

About how long after I give b12 shot should  I (hopefully) start seeing some improvemnt ? Also,  with the boluses (power pack)  .
steer is a  droopy and sluggish, no fever, stool is good all appears to be normal except he's just sluggish acting and his eating has stopped, then restarted, now slowing down again.
probias x 4 days last week; bought new feed ( in event I had gotten a bad batch.)  So, today gave him the power pk and 2 cc's b12.

also completly changed brand of feed, mixed it down w/ previous feed. Thought on that was- maybe it wasnt pallatable to him anymore.new feed is Purina and he sniffed around it and has been wandering back and forth to the feeder, so ??he is drinking, not overheated fans etc. I have racked my brain and picked the brains of cattle people i know. We're just kind of scratching our heads. he has also been in pasture 9small 1) so he can eat some grass. And he was implanted w/ revlar (sp) about 2 months ago, about 4 wks ago I gave him the cattlemans shot for 5 way ( pnemonia was going around)

It maybe that I've just got one of those steers thats just not going to make it. But, I would like to try anything else that may salvage him. wgt is  abt 660,already been tagged in for fair. Just looking for some suggestions. i hope i've included enough info. have a good night everyone..

Jasper
Also, his hair has become very corse- i cant even explain that. After i get him him eating, thinking I'll put that cholestrol treatment on him (recipe on here) and then go back to vin,kleen sheen and infusium....

rtmcc

Have a stool sample tested for coccidiosis.  Or maybe just treat him with Corrid for five days to be sure.

Good luck.  Sounds like you have tried most everything else.

Ron
<cowboy>

ROAD WARRIOR

I might try changing the type of wormer and even though he is not running a temp I would put a magnet down him. Has he ever been suseptable to bloating?  Coccidiosis is another possability rtmcc. RW

jasper

ok.. what is the magnet and where do i get it from..? and can you explain what that may do?

jasper

jasper said:
ok.. what is the magnet and where do i get it from..? and can you explain what that may do?

OKAY.. found it nevermind. I've seen some discuss this before and had no idea a real 1.-wow, that is amazing. thank you.

ROAD WARRIOR

I put magnets in pretty much all of my cattle, especially herd bulls, donor cows and show cattle. The magnet is put down their throat into their stomach with a balling gun. Its purpose is to attract any metal particles to it that the animal might injest ( wire, screws or any part of the mixing machine that may have worn thin and came loose) and hold them in place. Other wise these objects can move into the body and cause major problems commonly known as hardware. RW

jasper

so, will he pass it ?  and is there a certain size to get ? that is just about the only thing we havent tried.  I'll finish out the other treatments as well. Is it ok to give him the boluses with the other meds for the collesistus?

thank you so much. I got myself a balling gun today and did the boluses myself; so Im sure I can get this done also.

THANKS AGAIN :)

ROAD WARRIOR

The magnet will stay with him for the rest of his life and should not affect any other treatments. RW

jasper

okay.. he may have a little more pep to him this morning. I gave him some more hay this a.m. and there was a little feed in there (not old feed) and he was licking that.  He is on day 2 of the corid. and will get the last 2  power pak boluses in the morning. so hopefully by the weekend, he'll be turning around. I did give the b12 tuesday.  I also took some of his poop to the vets office and had it sent out for testing, to see if they could find anything.
I maybe crazy, but , I think his hair didnt feel as rough today.

Just a question- If I get him pulled back out of this can I continue the b12 shots every week? Is this the same b12 shots humans get?

Should I be seeing a difference in him by the weekend?
Thank you all so much..................