how long is it taking to get TH,PHA data?

Help Support Steer Planet:

jbzdad

I know agrigenomics is the only place doing these tests, how long is it taking to get the results these days? how is the billing cycle working?Last time they couldn't accept CC is that still true?

farwest

I'm sure DL could answer ALL your questions.  I believe she is on the payroll?????  PM her and it may spare us.

jbzdad

Sure, and if she tells me on PM I am the only one who sees the answer . Maybe someone else is interested. I am sure this time of year they are getting lots of work in, especially with the angus defects being tested... Did you think my question was unreasonable?

DL

jbzdad said:
Sure, and if she tells me on PM I am the only one who sees the answer . Maybe someone else is interested. I am sure this time of year they are getting lots of work in, especially with the angus defects being tested... Did you think my question was unreasonable?

jbzdad - can't tell you how long but I didn't think it was an unreasonable question - some people are just testy - AM and NH can be tested for in multiple different labs, and can be run on samples already on file in those labs so lots of Angus samples may not be an issue for Agrigenomics...if I get a more definitive answer I'll let you know

knabe

in one respect, one could purchase the rights to the tests and solve a lot of these problems.

the lab is transitioning to not being the sole commercial lab for these things.

in general, they are doing a better and better job all the time.

in the beginning, things were pretty rough.

now, in general, as the tests and sample inventory has increased, they are going through growing pains, which includes licensing rights through the university, which can be tough.

one should allow for a little time flexibility, as this product isn't offered at walmart.

CUTK

When we had ours done there in the fall, it took acouple of weeks and they don't take CC, unless something has changed in the last month or so.

Show Heifer

Wow, SOMEONE must've lost their Easter basket..... geesh.

I am NOT on the payroll, but I sent some OS samples and was told it would be about two weeks.
And you CAN get the OS test at other places.... You can also get the AM and NH test at other labs. So Dr.B is "letting the tests out".

Oops, if I continue, I will be accused of being on the slide with Dr.B.... better quit.

No your question was not unreasonable,  jbzdad. I am sure many wonder the same thing.

herefordfootball

It took us six weeks to get ours back. TH/PHA testing. We were getting annoyed but this the first time we had a calf tested so we are new to the system.

ZNT

It has taken us anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 1/2 years to get our results.  All but one taking around 3-4 weeks.  I would definitely say they are going through some growing pains.  We are now trying to clear up the billing on our results that took years to get.  We paid, and we keep getting bills. Kind of frustrating.

herefordfootball

ZNT said:
It has taken us anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 1/2 years to get our results.  All but one taking around 3-4 weeks.  I would definitely say they are going through some growing pains.  We are now trying to clear up the billing on our results that took years to get.  We paid, and we keep getting bills. Kind of frustrating.

2 and 1/2 years?! Holy smokes!!!! If it took over 4-6 months,  I'd be goin crazy and constantly callin em up complaining. 2 and a half years? What if it was for sale calves you needed tested, or a bull you were trying to sell semen on? Man that is crazy!

simtal

It's easy to see that this system is flawed, only one place to send all the samples. Sure Dr. B is accomplished in the scientific arena and has made a wonderful contribution to cattle genomics however, were talking about running a business here, don't think he has a degree in that. Not saying that you need one to be successful but, as knabe suggested it would be better to let a commercial lab run this kind of stuff.

Smith

Merial's Igenity testing service is now providing TH and PHA, as well as many other abnormality DNA tests.
http://www.igenity.com/beef/whatsnew/WhatsNew.aspx

I have used them for parentage verification in the past and have very pleased with their customer service.  I agree with others that the turnaround time for results over the phone from Agrigenomics has gotten much better.  However, I'm sorry to write that Agrigenomics' billing continues to be a problem most every time we send in samples.  I really appreciate what Dr. Beaver and his group have done for the industry but continue to be frustrated in doing business with Agrigenomics.

BTW, any word on a test for Monkey Mouth?  I submitted another sample this year but haven't heard anything on this while other tests continue to be released.

knabe

Smith said:
BTW, any word on a test for Monkey Mouth?  I submitted another sample this year but haven't heard anything on this while other tests continue to be released.

spastic pareisis on the docket first for maine's.

i would like to have the two forms of double muscling in maine's testable as well.  the sequence is known.  also obviously monkey mouth.

great news on the outsourcing.  beever i'm sure is relieved to have more time for science and solving problems instead of customer support.