How long should we tie up our animals every day?

Help Support Steer Planet:

JJshowmom

We are fairly new at showing animals.  My husband and I both grew up around cattle but we are new to the show part of it.  Our son has started showing and I have a question as to how long should his animals (1 steer and 2 heifers) be tied up each day.  We live in Florida if that makes any difference.  Thankyou in advance for your help.

shortyjock89

Our show calves are tied up 13-15 hours every day, but it stays nice and cool in our barn, and we have lots of fans on them and stuff.  We also water them 4 or 5 times during the day.  If you have something like 12 x 12  pens, with a way to hang fans up next to them, then I would let them loose in the pens.  I would put two calves in each pen and have two fans per pen too.  If you don't have something like that, then I would leave them tied up all day, and let them have a pretty decent sized pen to run around in at night.

JJshowmom

Thankyou!  We have them in stalls all day with fans and then out in a pasture at night.  I just didn't know if they should be tied while they are in their stalls.  Thankyou very much for the info.

frostback

That I think is only part of the answere. You should be tieing their heads up and making them stand for about 4-5 hours a day. Gets them used to standing for fitting and showing. Then after that let them loose in their pens. This also gets them trained that when they are tied down at a show they know it is time to lay down and rest. Frostie

JJshowmom

Thank you!  We are trying to learn and are trying to ask the right questions.  I will try not to ask to many though. (lol)  Again thanks for all the help!!!!

frostback

This is the place to ask as many as you need to. There are tons of years of experience here and they answere without judging. You just need to pick which answere works for you as not all agree there is a best or only one way that works. The only stupid question is the one not asked. Frostie

knabe

JJshowmom said:
Thank you!  We are trying to learn and are trying to ask the right questions.  I will try not to ask to many though. (lol)  Again thanks for all the help!!!!

if new people don't ask questions, we start talking about PHA, show cattle versus real world cattle, grass fed versus corn fed, science, personal issues, you know, all the stuff everyone complains about.  questions are a nice way of rebooting.  we are practically starving for questions.  please help.