how many do you have?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

I didn't think it was rude at all, I am guessing they asked just to find out who they were dealing with.  Anyone can get on the internet, a 12 year old can be giving out information, I think people on boards are very quick to believe everything they read when the people behind the answer may not have any knowledge at all.

AAOK

I agree with Jill.  Oklahoma is a good way west of the Mississippi, and Okies love to brag about having land, cattle, horses, goats.  One acre or one thousand, most people are more than anxious to tell all about it; even if it's just to tell how much is lawn. 

I know people who are third and forth generation living on their Indian allotment in a 30 year old trailer, and have never had a job.  They'll volunteer how much money they're getting each month from the mineral royalties.

We're trusting folk!

Dan

chambero

My father-in-law won't even tell his own sisters how many cows he's running on land he leases from them.

It depends on the setting, but most commercial cattlemen won't tell you anything and you will at best get a "go to ****" look if you ask.

In general, it's easier to be more upfront with that kind of info with people you don't know than those you deal with all the time.

DLD

cowz said:
Please do not think this post is snotty or condescending or anything negative at all.  Since we were discussing the code of the west recently, I thought I would throw this in!

I am going to tell you about a "regional" thing....which I think exists only west of the Mississippi.  Cattle people in the western states take it as EXTREMELY RUDE to be asked how many cows you run or how many acres you own.  It equates to asking what your current bank balance is or what color underwear you have on.  Out here it is just a matter of ranch etiquette not to discuss it.  Once you get to know someone, that info is apparant.

We have a lot of east coast people coming out here.  They ask this  all the time.  I just sweetly smile and say....Just enough to make ends meet. 

Hope you guys have a great day!

Kinda why I hadn't replied yet. I was just raised with the idea that how many cows someone has is their business and nobody elses... Maybe an antiquated idea to some (kind of like holding doors open or tipping your hat), but old habits die hard.

garybob

DLD said:
cowz said:
Please do not think this post is snotty or condescending or anything negative at all.  Since we were discussing the code of the west recently, I thought I would throw this in!

I am going to tell you about a "regional" thing....which I think exists only west of the Mississippi.  Cattle people in the western states take it as EXTREMELY RUDE to be asked how many cows you run or how many acres you own.  It equates to asking what your current bank balance is or what color underwear you have on.  Out here it is just a matter of ranch etiquette not to discuss it.  Once you get to know someone, that info is apparant.

We have a lot of east coast people coming out here.  They ask this  all the time.  I just sweetly smile and say....Just enough to make ends meet. 

Hope you guys have a great day!

Kinda why I hadn't replied yet. I was just raised with the idea that how many cows someone has is their business and nobody elses... Maybe an antiquated idea to some (kind of like holding doors open or tipping your hat), but old habits die hard.
That is why I think Nat'l ID will be a hard sell.

knabe

and just think when the government get's ahold of that data and says you have too many cows on too little land and they have to be phosphorus neutral in the runoff according to their statistical model and that you aren't allowing the native plants enough leaf area, etc etc etc

Jill

If this was the USDA or any other government agency I wouldn't have answered the question at all :) :)

justintime

I agree with COWZ has said. How many cows a person has is a question that you don't normally ask some people. I have no hangups with being asked, and I did answer this question. I have a very good friend who would be insulted if i were to ask him. By the number of trucks it takes to haul his calves to town, I would guesstimate that he has about 1500 cows but he would never disclose to me or anyone else how many he has. I doubt if his banker or accountants have a rel good idea. This is slowly changing and is not nearly as concerning to people as it once was, and more people are willing to disclose their cattle numbers. There are still some though who are rather insulted when asked.

shorthorns r us

most "ranchers", and i use that tern LOOSLEY, around here would hate to be found out as "all hat and no cattle".  lots of BIG horse ranchers around these parts are just that.  i find that the value of the truck and trailer is often inversely proportional to the number of head.

chambero

We are still dragging a an old steel gooseneck built in the 70s.  I'm honestly kind of embarrassed to drive up at a show nowadays, but its built like and tank and still works like its supposed to.  We are thinking about getting a new trailer this fall, but also have decided we want to get our own weed sprayer and tractor w/ shredder this year (about $30-40K).  We have had an explosion of weeds and have decided to try to get a little more active on weed management than just using rotational grazing.  Guess which "need" will win?  There is always something that comes up that takes priority over toys.

I know a lady who has been involved in show cattle for probably 30-40 years and almost every calf she touches (she is pretty selective on the kids she helps and calves she picks) winds up winning a breed (at least ten times that I can think of off the top of my head) at a Texas major.  They pull an old WW bumper pull.

There is a WHOLE lot of truth in what you said about the value of the truck and trailer.

DLD

It's not that I really care who knows how many cows I own, (I should have around 65 calves born this year), my banker knows, my accountant knows, and I don't particularly have a problem with the government knowing. I'd be more than happy to show my cows to anyone that's interested, and I expect counting them wouldn't be too hard. I don't have anything to hide - it's just what my Grandma would've deemed "unseemly conversation"...lol

Chambero, we pull a steel trailer too (a little newer than yours, but not nearly new either) and our truck isn't brand new or very fancy either, but I'm not ashamed to park it beside anybodies shiny $60K rig, especially not when it's time to unload the stock ;)

cowz

DLD said:
It's not that I really care who knows how many cows I own, (I should have around 65 calves born this year), my banker knows, my accountant knows, and I don't particularly have a problem with the government knowing. I'd be more than happy to show my cows to anyone that's interested, and I expect counting them wouldn't be too hard. I don't have anything to hide - it's just what my Grandma would've deemed "unseemly conversation"...lol

Chambero, we pull a steel trailer too (a little newer than yours, but not nearly new either) and our truck isn't brand new or very fancy either, but I'm not ashamed to park it beside anybodies shiny $60K rig, especially not when it's time to unload the stock ;)

I was raised by the older generation....a child of my parent's old age.  If you were rude enough to talk politics or religion at one of my mother's Sunday dinners, you were excused from the table!

In teaching my own sons some manners....it has been hard.  "Open the door for a lady, let her go before you, respect your elders, take off your hat when you come inside....."    Hardly any teenagers do this and my kids remind me of this.!  But, I have to remind them......But YOU DO!!! ;D

Jill

DLD said:
Have to agree on that one, mines not new, but it is paid for.

pigguy

Jill said:
DLD said:
we have one like that also. but it is only embrassing when you have to get a hammer to get the sliding gate pin to come up. and then you cant just open that gate you have to yank it open because at some time the hinges get bent over so it stciks under the latch. but we are getting a new one this fall. ;D ;D

Latest posts