How many years have you been showing/raising

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

This came from another post. How many years have you been showing/ raising show cattle?? After wards we will see how many years of experonce we have ALL together!!

red

15 years raising & 9 years of 4-h & FFA so guess that would be 24?
Put hubby down for 49, woop's I mean 48 3/4!  ;)
Red

justme

boy your going to age us all!  I started with my first calf project in 1988.  Was helping another farm for 2 years prior so that would be 1986.  Showed sheep before that.  So cattle wise I've been around showing for 22 years.  wow it doesn't seem that long! (lol)

ZNT

I have been showing cattle for 23 years, and raising show cattle for 20 years.  Man, time flies, and I can not believe how much things have changed from those first steers we showed and raised.

linnettejane

i started showing beef, swine, and sheep in 4-h 22 years ago until they kicked me out for being too old!!!  at that time i dropped the swine and sheep and picked up horses....had a pretty bad fall and injury doing the hunter jumper dressage thing, so now its just showing cattle and riding horses for pleasure....

Bawndoh

Rasing cattle from the womb...so about 21 years.  Showing since I was about 6 I think.  15 years of showing then.  I was in 4-H for 13 years, and then went to College in another province and never persued it any longer.  I could have racked up about 16-17 years in 4-H but I decided to let some other kids win!  (lol).

GRsimm

I live on the family farm that has been recognized as a Century farm in 2003 so weve had cattle around over 100years but for me its just been 24 years of my life showing for 18years. Hopefully we can reach the next mark as well.  <hero>

shortyjock89

I think this is my eighth year showing, and fifth year raising my own cattle.  If dad wouldn't have gotten rid of the cows when I was little, only to pick them back up, we would have had show cattle continuously since about 1930.  Angus, Shorthorns, and Herefords were what we had at first, then we had a pretty good Angus herd when my grandpa was in charge, and my Dad always showed Shorthorns..then We picked the Shorthorns back up when I started, and got a few Appendix and Maines along the way.  Oh btw, we're a century farm this year, been raising crops and had some sort of livestock on the same farmstead since 1908!

showsteer09

I showed cattle for when I was 6 till I was 18,  12 years... 18 to present 28 working with cattle all over  10 years  soo  22 years.....

BCCC

Our ranch has been around since 1871, which was started out with a good sized herd of registered herefords, and we eveentulyy started getting some angus, and then simmintals, and so forth. And now we are weeding out our cows since we have no grass on 10k acres I have been showing for pigs since i was 8 so I have been showing for 9 years. and this will be my 2nd year of raising my own show cattle, and I hope to add a VERY nice additon to the herd this year  (thumbsup)

bcosu

5 years now of showing cattle for me but i've had cattle my whole life. i've really learned alot these past three years and i continue to every day. boy does those first years seem to be pretty embarassing or what?

shortdawg

I started with swine in 1984 and my kids still show them along with the show calves. They have been showing swine for 7yrs.and calves for 5 yrs. and we've raised cattle for 7 yrs.

BIGTEX

I showed for five years back in the late 80's. Ihave been back in the business for five more. 10 for me.

CAB

I've owned cows since I was 9 years old. Have shown on and off through the last 41 years. This year will be our families last year in 4-H. We have had kids showing calves at various levels through the years but mainly just our county fair. We used to shoe swine @ some of the national level and have been the swine exhibitor of the year @ the American Royal, have made the sale @ both Denver and Aksarben with hogs. The highest we ever placed @ the Ia. State fair was reserve heavy div. barrow FFA, but that is very tough to do. Lots of very good pigs in Ia. Right now, I get the biggest kick out of trying to make those great calves that will do well for kids. I love the thrill of competition. Brent

alwayssecond

I have been showing cattle since the 4th grade so that would make it 9 years and i have been around cattle for 11 years.

Rocky Hill Simmental

I'm 19 (almost 20) and my family has been raising cattle waaayyy before I came along. I didn't get my very own first heifer until 2003 though, even though I wanted my own cow for as long as I could remember. I bought my first simmental heifer 2 years ago and I'm waiting for the very first registered simme calf to be born on this farm.  ;D

As for showing.. This will be my 5th year showing (4 years so far). I'm still kind of new at showing but I'm learning a lot. I hope if I ever have kids, they'll want to show cattle too.  (cow)