How much dose it cost??

Help Support Steer Planet:

american honey

Hey there!! I am writing my post for the day and I was wondering how much it cost of one heifer to have a calf, and do they receive prenatal care? Thanks :)

Cattle7

It can be very expensive to have a heifer calve out. The cost of semen, ciders, the shots the get to help them cycle in, then the cost of having someone to AI them if you cant. The cost to feed them. And after all that, hopefully she calves out on her own. -& if not the vet comes to do a C-section which runs about $500.

flacowman

I would say about the absolute cheapest you could get a heifer to calving would be at least $1000, that's developing her on grass and very little feed, only doing a Lute shot and breeding her, assuming no calving problems, and is a completely unrealistic number in this forum lol.

On our show heifers, the feed usually runs us about $1200 (we grind our own) to get one to 2 years old not including show expenses or the purchase price of a heifer.  We run heifers with our herd bull (we lucked up and got an AI quality bull for $2000 as a 2 year old)