How much should i ask? $$$$

Help Support Steer Planet:

zak

I have a march Wild card X Meyer 734 heifer. I would like to know your opinions on how much I should ask for her.

Zak

Attachments

• 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 732

zak

Heres another pic.

Zak

Attachments

• 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 723

Sam

When I price calves I look at what the market is right now, add feed, how much it cost to get her by AI, misc expenses, and how much I think my time is worth. That being said, I think she would be a solid $1200 heifer. She is a very nice heifer. But that is just my opinion.

zak

I am new to pricing cattle could you show me a pic of what you think is a 5,000 heifer and a 20,000 heifer.

Thanks

Zak

shortdawg

Think about what it would take for you to replace her if you sold her. That should give you an idea of what she is worth to YOU . If you don't get that, keep her. That's what I would do.

6M Ranch

There's no difference between a $3,000 heifer and a $20,000 heifer.  The difference is the name of the ranch, and getting two legitimate bidders to drive up the price.  Where do you thnk the steer jock ranches get their animals?  They scour the country buying $1500 dollar steers and heifers, then turn them several times.  There are too many rich daddies buying their little darlings grand champions. 

yuppiecowboy

6m, I agree that the difference between a good dollar animal and a big dollar animal can be almost non existant, but I think your claim that "the jocks" buy 1500 calves and get 20k is very unrealistic in my experience. first of all if there was so much money trading steers how is it I got so many bad checks over the years? I am awfully confident as well that other than unicorn rare times a calf has been bought at 1500 and sold for a huge figure, the people that raise 20k type steers know what they have.

Zach, it is hard to price someone elses cattle, especially off of pictures. In your first picture I saw a 1500 to 2000 heifer and in the second one I saw a heifer worth twice that. She definitely has value. If you are starting to raise show calves it can be hard and frustrating not being able to give away calves that are better than ones you see bringing good money. If you know anyone that sells calves successfully I would suggest trying to work a deal where they market her for you for a cut. And when I say cut, that number can be 10% to a third, or split over X amount. And dont feel like you are being taken if you are giving up a third to the right person. I would much rather have 2/3 of what some of these guys can get than the entire amount I can.

txshowlamb

6M Ranch very well said but those rich daddies are also those who are raising those animals their babies only show

6M Ranch

I think if you look at several of the name sales, they will list shown by ---, sold by ---, bred by ---.  I know of several animals every year, cattle, sheep, pigs, etc. that change hands several times.  Each time, the price goes up.  Freguently, the kid doesn't actually own the animal, they're handed the halter on the way into the show ring.  I'm not saying it's good or bad, but I don't agree with it.  My original point stands, that $10,000 steer started at someone's small operation as a $1,500 steer.

yuppiecowboy

6m, you probably have many examples of that occurring. I sure dont. I keep a pretty good pulse on the industry in the midwest and know personally  a good many of the people who sell 20k and up animals on occasion, and I can tell you in my experience the picture you are painting does not accurately reflect their reality.

Im not saying it doesnt happen, I  just dont agree that it is as common as you portray. I even have a known case that agrees with you completely. A very good friend sold a steer for 2500 to a fellow. Later that day someone else stopped in and offered him 5 grand. My friend got on the phone with the person who he made the deal with earlier asking if the guy would split it with him. The buyer couldnt, because he had sold the calf again before he left the driveway and the steer was on his 3rd "owner" in less than 24 hours with a sticker price of $12,500.

Trading happens, believe me I agree. And markup happens, believe me I agree. My experience tells me that the steers Stenberg, Bonham, Copus, Tracy are getting big tickets for DID NOT start out as 1500 dollar calves but on the rarest of occasions. One of the people I mentioned will not come look at a calf unless the breeder is asking over 10k for it, otherwise he figures it wouldnt be good enough to waste his time.

6M Ranch

Don't mean to be on a soapbox and derail the original topic.  I think there are a lot of things wrong and right with our "hobby".  I think it happens way too often.  I think anyone that spends more than they can potentially make back at their fair is buying a ribbon, and not teaching their kids the proper lesson.  I heard a joke at our fair this year, do you know the average age of a
4-H'er?  40

showsteerdlux

A hobby is just what it is a hobby, not a business. Most folks don't make anything on there hobby. I certainly do not think that golfers make anything on their hobby. I get beat almost every time I go out if I don't have a calf that cost more than $2,000 but O well I know thats part of the game.

CJC

Just do what you feel is right. If you can fine a sucker too pay the big buck more power to you. Their born every day.
My daughter has two heifers for our fair an American and a Exotic we gave $1700 for both and I think we will give both division a run for their money. 

Jill

I'm going to have to agree with 6M on this one, just depends on who is selling the heifer.  A lot comes down to whether or not you really want to sell the heifer, at our house we price them high and if they don't sell we show them.  I agree with getting one into someone elses hands to market if you don't have a name, many offer value added services that many breeders can't, just make sure you find someone you trust. 

OH Breeder

Zak,
We debate pricing every year and only sell a couple hear and there. Consider the quality of the animal you are selling. What would you pay for her? Can you replace this female at a reasonable price? Then go from there.  I would hate to price something without seeing it.

I have to also agree with 6m and Jill. I have a few storys which $2000 animals become $7000 and up every year. $5 becomes 10 and so on. It takes the right eye etc. It is more common then some think (i think).

forcheyhawk

yuppiecowboy said:
6m, you probably have many examples of that occurring. I sure dont. I keep a pretty good pulse on the industry in the midwest and know personally  a good many of the people who sell 20k and up animals on occasion, and I can tell you in my experience the picture you are painting does not accurately reflect their reality.

Im not saying it doesnt happen, I  just dont agree that it is as common as you portray. I even have a known case that agrees with you completely. A very good friend sold a steer for 2500 to a fellow. Later that day someone else stopped in and offered him 5 grand. My friend got on the phone with the person who he made the deal with earlier asking if the guy would split it with him. The buyer couldnt, because he had sold the calf again before he left the driveway and the steer was on his 3rd "owner" in less than 24 hours with a sticker price of $12,500.

Trading happens, believe me I agree. And markup happens, believe me I agree. My experience tells me that the steers Stenberg, Bonham, Copus, Tracy are getting big tickets for DID NOT start out as 1500 dollar calves but on the rarest of occasions. One of the people I mentioned will not come look at a calf unless the breeder is asking over 10k for it, otherwise he figures it wouldnt be good enough to waste his time.

I can tell you that at least one of those guys made 3 times more than I did last year and I personally don't want for much.  To portray these steer jocks not making money is ludicrous.  I agree that they don't work with too many 1500 animals but I think 6M's point still is very valid.  In fact, I know that one of the mentioned ran up a steer to 12000 then proceeded to tell a buddy how he'd already bought the steer for 8000 before the sale and then proceeded to sale the steer for 24000 at his own sale.  To me, that's not what 4-H is about.  However, I don't fault the steer jock for that.  I fault the parents that are greedy and want to win at all cost.