How much time on average do you work w/ show calves?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I just came in from washing my new calves. I didn't blow them out yet, just rinished & brushed & stuck under fan. Was out there about 1 1/2 hours. Will go out later & let them lie down & brush some more.
Just curious, on an average, how much time do you spend daily working w/ the show calves? This is just show cattle related, not cow/calf operation.
How much time do you think is right? Are you spending as much as you should or could? I'd like to spend a lot more but health issues keep me back. I'll average about 2 hours a day right know. Will increase once I start blow drying them out & actually walking them. Then it will be at least 4 hours daily.

Red

shortyjock89

Well, all of my friends think I'm out there too much, but to tell the truth, I'd like to be out there more.  On the yearlings that we're showing this summer, I spend about 4 or 5 hours a day out there rinsing, blowing, using the showstick..stuff like that.  When I break and prepare young calves for showing, I like to tie them(with their heads down at first, then move them up after they chill out), then let them settle down for about 20 minutes, then I brush/comb them for about a half and hour then let them go..keeps them from getting too stressed out and keeps the cows from going crazy.  In the winter, I'm out there as much as possible, before school I tie up the calves and feed/brush them then when I get home I usually lead the calves over to our heated shed to be rinsed and blown out, then I lead them back to the barn to be fed.  I have to stay in out of the heat as much as possible (doctor's orders...heat does funny things with my medication) but I still get out there for a few  hours every day.

OH Breeder

Every weekend and once or twice through the week when permited. Usually go up early on Saturday and sunday and stay til dark or 9-10pm. I get to do all the things that get missed during the week. Build fence etc....but I love it.

Clubcalfshowgirl

This year i have 2 calves. I usually get them out blow then rinse them, wash the shorty if need, then on my wash rack i have misters and i usually let them stand with misters on them for 3-4 hours.After they are put on racks  I clean stalls and make sure have water. Take one out and brush then blow completely dry and brush and then get the other out brush blow brush. Then put in stalls to be fed down for the night. I do this most nights.
CCSG

red

Thank you Knabe! She is the full sister to that red heifer that is doing so well in Texas. She is CLEAN both ways. Already just about broke to lead & a real sweetheart.

Red

NHR Shorthorns

10 to 12 hours a week, thats not to bad I guess. Only thing is there are 2 steers and 6 heifer so that kinda makes for some long days in the barn. But its okay winning makes up for it!