How popular are Speckle Park cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

Aussie

In the last three years Speckle Parks have been very heavily promoted by a couple of very good salesmen here. Are there many about and are they the real deal. Do they have anything to offer that other breeds don't.

oakbar

Hey Aussie!!

Check out www.summit3sale.com.    We saw the River Hill 26TWalker 60W  bull in Denver.    Lots of meat on four hooves!!    There's a video of him on Cattle.com under the Denver 2011-Walker heading.  He was a very thick, stout  bull that seemed very sound when I watched him walk.    I don't know what the commercial acceptance would be "down under" but I'm sure the roan color would hurt the Speckle Parks here in the States.

Oakbar

Okotoks

This is a realtively new breed developed in Canada so their numbers are still pretty small. They have had some good success in carcass competions and I think they make a pretty useful animal.
Here is a link to their website.
http://www.canadianspecklepark.ca/
They have a small amount of shorthorn and you can see it in their color pattern only they are black instead of red.

Attachments

• speckled park bull.jpg
    speckled park bull.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,091
  • Speckle Park Cows.jpg
    Speckle Park Cows.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 462

garybob

If they are as good at being Moms as their distant relatives, the British Whites and White Parks, Y'uns  would be well=advised to look at 'em.

GB

AAOK

There is a small herd of about 20 Speckle Park not far from me.  They have one bull which is quite impressive, and all the cows look super.  As good a group as I've seen, any breed.  The owner moved to the sticks of SE Okla from California.  Not too friendly.  About all I got out of them was they moved to where they are to get away from people.  Wasn't able to find out where he got the cows. 

BuckJones

We usually get one or two at our local show. Of the 5 that I recall being shown, all 4 steers and 1 heifer took first in their classes.

104_6133.JPG

This one was 2 years ago. 1st place in the smallest weight class.

100_4971.jpg

This one was the year before and took Grand Champion. It was like running your hands over silk his finish was so smooth and soft.

CAB

More popular than Mini Pandas, but not worth as much!!! Couldn't resist. From what I have studied, the cattle look good. Hope that they get started here in the states. JMO

BadgerFan

They may be great cattle, but we have what we need in the current gene pool.  It just needs to be used in a breeding program with the right goals and discipline.

CAB

Does anyone know how much speckle stays with them if you were to cross them with a homo black bull? That black steer looks like they may could bring a lot to the table.

mooch

Looks like crossbreds with a marketing program to me. Sure to follow in the footsteps of the Hayes converters, RX3, and The Herefords that got caught with simmi in them in the 80's. Harsh probably, but realistic . History says it is pretty tough to take composite cattle and make them acceptable as a stand alone breed entity. Not saying they aren't good cattle, saying that it takes generation after generation to insure predictability in a wide scale industry accepted setting.