How should i do

Help Support Steer Planet:

Moocow11

OK i just bought 2 trailer houses for $250, and since all i have is lean to's, i figured i would make one in to a cooler room, and a place for grooming chutes and stuff, and then the other will be used for pigs, but i was wondering what i should do to the traielr house so i can make it into a cooler room? I am going to gut it all out, and then cover all the windows, but what else should i do??? :)))

afhm

The flooring and structure strength would worry me as far as using them for any of those options you discussed.  I can just imagine walking in  and seeing a steer having fell through the floor.

Moocow11

what if i braced the floor? we have 3 inch pipe, 2 inch soild pipe, sprinkler pipe, and quite a few 4x4's, i was planning on sticking panels around the inside, to tie to them and not worry about holes in the walls. and i was planning on putting mats in it. but should i put sand on top of the mats, then straw or what?? :))) thanks a bunch

shortyjock89

I don't know for sure, but it might be in your best interest to just build a room instead of using an old mobile home.  I'm not saying that it won't work, but it would take alot of work to brace the floor and modify it enough to make it into a good cooler.  A good dark area in your barn with a couple fans running is better than a half-way done cooler. 

Moocow11

yeah but theres the first problem all i have is a lean to that is only like 12' wide. i wasnt planning on makeing it a cooler room, more like a room with fans, and then an ac also just to keep the temperature down, there is also an auction coming up with a 8 ton ac system.

Show Heifer

My biggest concern would be ventilation and moisture.  Maybe raise the floor with a slope below for the waste to roll away?
If you do this, make sure you have enough fans to pull air OUT, but I guess if you use AC then that wouldn't do......Can't help with a solution, but would worry about pneumonia....

dori36

shortyjock89 said:
I don't know for sure, but it might be in your best interest to just build a room instead of using an old mobile home.  I'm not saying that it won't work, but it would take alot of work to brace the floor and modify it enough to make it into a good cooler.  A good dark area in your barn with a couple fans running is better than a half-way done cooler. 

I gotta agree.  Besides the possibility of falling through the floor, I think a rambunctious steer could push right through the walls!  Imo, you'd have to completely rebuild a mobil to make it cattle tough.

OH Breeder

If you could pull the walls off the frame of the trailer and secure them to 4x4's stuck in the ground, you would be alright. The walls might be insulated enough to keep it cool. But, that will take some work. Is the metal worth saving? If you had a 10 x 10 area that you could set post and mount the walls and make sure you pile up the dirt so it will drain. This is a lot of work. But if you are resourceful you could do it.

I built a 10 x 20 room with a wash rack in it and insulated the walls and ceiling with R30 insulation. Keeps about 65 in summer heat.  I heat it in the winter to wash calves.