How should I go about breaking?

Help Support Steer Planet:

WBar Farms

I have a very limited time to break two steers.  I'll have about a week now then a few weeks later I'll have a month to get them show broke.  I feel like theres two ways I could go about it.  I either make good friends with them then slowly work the halter in or just throw it on and make them respect it.  Obviously if I befriend them then do it they'll like me more in the end but not sure which way I should go.  Any advice would be great

cowcrazy

How big are your steers? We like to put a halter on them and let them walk around with it on to get them used to the pressure when they step on the rope end. We put them in a small pen and drop feed in a pan and sit and wait for them to come to the feed. As they learn to trust you, you can grab the end of the rope. We sometimes use a show stick to grab it. You can also use the show stick to scratch on them a little. Once they get used to this, you can try brushing them a little. Good luck!

ALTSIMMY 79

Call me crazy but my vote goes for just put it on and tie them ! Then take your time and make friends with them but id definitely just tie them first so they get that out of their system. Especially since you dont have alot of time. Everyone has their own unique ways of doing things , their personal likes and dislikes , but mine get tied. Tried the drag the halter deal on two this year for the first time and it really did nothing for me but dirtied up my halters and caused me grief every 3 days when one or the other got it half off their head. To each their own though !

vc

If their at least settled down enough to get them caught, I would spend 2 or 3 days putting a halter on them and just tying them and let them fight the halter for a short period each day (if you have the time do it twice a day before each feeding). Once they stop fighting the halter, I would start rinsing, blowing them out and tying for a short period of time each day. Working with them, once their not scared out of their gourd, seems to tame them down pretty fast and you are steadily moving them forward at a slow pace.
We started with commercial steers that were never worked with, picked them out of the herd, run through the scale, load on a trailer and hauled home about a 10 hour drive. we would put the halters on them in the shoot before they went in the trailer. Once home we would put them in a 12 *24 pen and just feed and talk to them for a couple of days. Once they settled down enough that we could get a hold of the halter rope, the boys started tying them for about 15 minutes and then turn them loose and feed (we would take the halters off after about the second time of tying). After being home for 5 days we would get them into the wash rack and start rinsing and blowing on. (did not worry about getting them clean as much as getting them use to being handled) You keep your distance as to not get kicked (some do and some do not) by the third or fourth rinsing they usually just stand there and let you rinse comb and blow on them. Now some take a little longer than others and with some you have take smaller steps each time, but you are gaining ground every day. It is a slow process but as long as you continue to move forward you can have them more than ready in a month.

We usually do everything with them before we feed, this way once we are done they get a reward.

brenn

ALTSIMMY 79 said:
Call me crazy but my vote goes for just put it on and tie them ! Then take your time and make friends with them but id definitely just tie them first so they get that out of their system. Especially since you dont have alot of time. Everyone has their own unique ways of doing things , their personal likes and dislikes , but mine get tied. Tried the drag the halter deal on two this year for the first time and it really did nothing for me but dirtied up my halters and caused me grief every 3 days when one or the other got it half off their head. To each their own though !

I agree! I always tie them up immediately and for about three days I lead them to the feed bin and water tank and then let them drag the halter until they are comfortable with me walking up and grabbing the halter...

cowcrazy

Just a word of caution about tying them.  Keep an eye on them. You never know how they will react. A friend of mine had a steer lay down and ended up dying. A lot depends on how wild they are!

RSC

WBar Farms said:
I have a very limited time to break two steers.  I'll have about a week now then a few weeks later I'll have a month to get them show broke.  I feel like theres two ways I could go about it.  I either make good friends with them then slowly work the halter in or just throw it on and make them respect it.  Obviously if I befriend them then do it they'll like me more in the end but not sure which way I should go.  Any advice would be great

We haved two calves in the barn that were purchased from a pasture sale and tie broke real well.  They broke easy.  The third calf was a home grown heifer that I was concerned about.  I wasn"t confident if she would ever break.  I did a combination of both since I weaned her. Love them and get agressive at the same time.  To me it's not so much a set and dry method for each calf. 

Here is what I did with her. Before I ever thought about tying her, I let her come into the barn on her own where she would be tied for several days on her own.  Let her/him get comfortable with the suroundings before you try to break them.  I then brought her in and threw a halter on her and gave her about 2 hours to fight the halter the first time being tied.  I don't do it with all the calves but I let her drag the halter for several days.  I would keep a close eye on them if you do this so that they dont get hung up.  I then tied her up a 2nd and 3rd time without messing with her but having her tied in the pen next to two calves that were tied up and broke.  We would wash and dry the other calves close to her so that she became used to the process.

The fourth time was to wash  We have a headgate in our barn that we use for calving and breaking.  It is set up to also drain to our washrack.  I think washing them as soon as possible is very important but you dont want to change their routine to much by fighting them  while you give them their first bath.  I then blew her while in the heavy duty headgate which allows her limited view of me from behind.  I then let her go with out getting her to excited.  It is also important to tie their head high to keep them from the chance to kick.

This heifer was pretty goofy when we brought her in to wash and the next time in she was a different heifer.  Try and figure out a method that makes her as comfortable as possible during a process that is scary to them.  Hope this helps.

Tony