How to correct a steer that charges

Help Support Steer Planet:

JoeDirt

zach said:
i'll get bashed for saying this but i would hit him as hard as i can with a stick or something.

ZACH you meanie  PETA is coming over to your house tonight to talk to you

box6rranch

I guess I've never heard of plugging, what's that?
Wouldn't PETA have a hayday at most of our places :O) I'm overboard with love and affection at my place but I'm sure they would come up with a laundry list of all the cruelties we ensue!

knabe

box6rranch said:
Wouldn't PETA have a hayday at most of our places :O)

i want secret videotapes of alec baldwin and i want endless infomercials of them everywhere.

same for anyone who doesn't produce any food for anyone.

farmboy

100Million said:
zach said:
i'll get bashed for saying this but i would hit him as hard as i can with a stick or something.

ZACH you meanie  PETA is coming over to your house tonight to talk to you

bring it on. they want some of me, they can leave in pieces. however i do like their ads.... from a male standpoint  8)

SlickTxMaine

Okay, we did some work yesterday with him.....first we went in, patted him on the neck, and then walked away, didn't even try to take hold of his halter, which by the way is a plain nylon halter, not the rope halter with the lead dragging.  We cleaned the pen, emptied and removed his water trough, filled water buckets for him, then walked up to him and brushed him, again w/o touching his halter.  Now he did sneak up behind me at one point, and had me cornered, but all he did was bump me a little with his head, sort of rubbing his head on me.... anyway, I didn't like it, smacked him on the nose with the rake handle and got his attention.  Every time he would step towards me with his head down, he got a firm NO and if he did not stop, he got a smack.  He seemed surprised by this, but I think we made progress.  I also realized that my son has been "playing" with him, pushing on his head when he comes towards him.  We had a serious discussion about 150 lbs vs 1300 lbs!  I think we'll be okay.....I did want to clarify that when I said "charging", he's not running at us, but putting his head down, and coming towards us at a walk, sometimes he even bucks a little.  I don't think he intends to be mean, but with the weight behind him, I don't think it's something to play with. This is my son's first steer, he has shown hogs the last several years, so we have a lot to learn!  Thanks again for all the help!

red

we use the nose ring on bulls to catch them w/ a show stick. I'm just afraid at this point hitting him might make him worse.

I just want them to be safe.

Red

knabe

SlickTxMaine said:
didn't even try to take hold of his halter,

you will find that an animal can pick up on reaching even before you reach as you are positioned differently.  the 2nd best thing you did was letting him come up to you.  pick up on the halter, don't pull, have your comb ready, brush.  let go walk away.

Jill

From the last description you gave, I would say playing with him has caused 99% of your problem.  We don't ever let the kids touch the heads of the calves because they learn when they are little if they butt you or nudge you, you will scratch their head or neck or whatever, sounds to me like you just need to break a bad habit.

red

Jill said:
From the last description you gave, I would say playing with him has caused 99% of your problem.  We don't ever let the kids touch the heads of the calves because they learn when they are little if they butt you or nudge you, you will scratch their head or neck or whatever, sounds to me like you just need to break a bad habit.

that is very good advice Jill. I did that w/ one bull & he started using his head to get attention. Not smart on a 2000# bull.

Red