How to feed a heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Kerr91

Hello everyone, I am new here.
Our family has always raised steers for county and state fair shows but this year we decided to buy a heifer to have fun showing and eventually breed her down the road.

She is a May calf sired by Made to Order out of a strictly business cow. She has to be only about 500lbs if that.
She is currently on 8lbs a day of the Honor Fitters edge grower and is cleaning it up pretty fast. She also gets a flake of grass hay morning and night.

How are we doing so far with her? How much feed should we build her up to? Is a grower a good choice for her? We are going to show her but the end goal with her is breeding so I know that is something to take into consideration when establishing a feed plan for her. Any other tips or recommendations are welcomed and appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_130208.jpg
    IMG_20221129_130208.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 7

mark tenenbaum

If that's her in the picture has she lost condition? In any case as soon as she eats eight raise her 2 pounds a week or two weeks. At 500 pounds she should eat more than that at least ten to twelve pounds or more for starters. Then start to combine some hi roughage in there

Kerr91

If that's her in the picture has she lost condition? In any case as soon as she eats eight raise her 2 pounds a week or two weeks. At 500 pounds she should eat more than that at least ten to twelve pounds or more for starters. Then start to combine some hi roughage in there
Okay sounds great. Yes that is her in the picture. Okay I will get her up to 12lbs a day