how to get breeding heifer bigger

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROAD WARRIOR

Genetics play a large roll in the size of the heifer, everyone (almost everyone) has bred their cows to moderate the frame size. I think like all trends and fads we may be on the way past what is truthfully usable. JMHO, RW

The Show

Mostly genetics, but do you mean bigger as in more spring of rib and volume, or muscle and weight.

big tylerr

she was born in april of last year she is about 800 pounds and she needs to be taller and more muscle

aj

I think an interesting topic. First of all the heifer has to be cycling to get bred. If you feed over 4 # grain aday you might as well be feeding 20 cause your belly bugs are screwed up for roughage anyway. I would think most show heifers are getting plenty of groceries. I tried a Kit pharo appoach on my breeding heifers the last 2 years. No grain. I always had a crystalz tub out but they were on cane,cornstalks,grass, and whatever. They went out fairly thin all cycling decent though. This year calved 25 heifers in 30 days. I think pushing heifer development may be overated for ranch cattle. I'm not sure grain grows pelvic region. I may be sorry this year cause this years batch looks fairly tough. I think most show cattle probably need reigned in and not pushed in order to get heifer grown,cycling, and calved out.jmo Enviroments are different and even years are different in same enviroments.jmo good luck with your heifer.

BadgerFan

Really good points made already.  Really a 800 female at breeding time will make a 1265 lb mature cow.  That's not too far off ideal in my opinion.  I think we overfeed yearlings, thinking they all need to look like show heifers and then we end up with 1700# cows.  Trust me, it's hard to get it out of your head (mine included) that your replacement heifers should be show ready at all times.  Not true if you want to develop them for optimal longevity, reproductive efficiency and optimal milk production.