How to get the steer on feed

Help Support Steer Planet:

kvhranch

Okay, our fainting steer is just a pill.  We were leading him around a little and he tried the same stuff.  So just taking everything slow.

But we have had him for over a week now and we can't get him started on the calf starter.  He came straight from pasture and hay when we got him and he's still eating hay just fine.  But we can't get him to touch the feed.  Now, he's by himself for another few days until we can get the brand inspect on the other one and get him cut.  So that might be part of the problem.

We are trying to feed to Acco Calf Starter which appears to be a sweet feed so I thought he would like that.  No go.  Added some salt - would eat a bite or too then nothing.  But a salt block in the grain pan - licks the salt but won't touch the feed.

Should we just stop stressing over it until we get the other steer in or are there some other tricks we can try?

One more question, we kind of have it planned to keep the steers next to each other but seperate.  Feeding pans are right next to each other across the panel.  Is that going to be good enough or should we really get them both in the same pen?  My setup will work either way and once they get use to each other, it probably won't be a big deal to keep them together.  But the one steer is about 75-800lbs and the other one is in the 500-550 range.  So was worried the big one would muscle out the little one for feed.  But of course the big one won't eat any so maybe not a problem.

Sorry for all the novice questions.

chambero

Absolutely keep them separate.

Don't mess with the salt.  He'll eat when he gets hungry.  I'd back off on the hay to make sure he gets hungry.  Certainly don't give him all the hay he can eat yet.

MCC

Shake a little hay out in the bottom of his pan put the grain on top and then shake a little hay on top. He will eat the hay and start nibbling on the feed. Like chambero says forget the salt the Acco will have salt in it.

Latest posts