How to Groom

Help Support Steer Planet:

New Showman

1. What do I need to groom and what do I need to learn? I only showed once before (last year) I didnt even groom my heifer, I had never heard of grooming (thumbsup) before but I now am buying good cattle to be competitive so I need to know how to groom.

vc

Brush, brush, brush, rinse, comb, blow out, comb, brush, brush, brush. Not only do you want to grow hair, you have to train it, long hair that goes everywhere is almost like not having hair. you want it to pop. My son rinsed, comb, brushed and blew them out forward from rear to front every time. We use the 45% angle in an upward motion, to train the hair, there are several ways to do it though.
The biggest thing is putting in the time and creating a daily routine and sticking to it. If you are not working the hair for 1 to 2 hours a day, you are not working hard enough.

I was just telling the kid I'm helping this year, to ask himself everytime he thinks he is done grooming for the day, what do you think your biggest competitor is doing right now (young kid that works his hind end off with his calves) and if you want to compete with him, he'd better do just as much if not more.

Tallcool1

This site is a great resource, and there is a wealth of experience and information on here.

I may be out of line, and if I am then everyone can let me have it.

You have NO experience and you are buying competitive cattle now.  Turn to the people that you bought your calves from.  That is where you need to start.  They have to know something about grooming show cattle or they wouldn't be selling them.

Don't spend a dime until you at least talk to the people that you bought your calves from.

New Showman

Tallcool1 said:
This site is a great resource, and there is a wealth of experience and information on here.

You have NO experience and you are buying competitive cattle now.  Turn to the people that you bought your calves from.  That is where you need to start.  They have to know something about grooming show cattle or they wouldn't be selling them.

Don't spend a dime until you at least talk to the people that you bought your calves from.

I did'nt buy show calves I bought bred heifers and Im going to AI to get show calves myself not just buy them year after year. So vc I want to train the hair forward? Does this make it easier to clip them at the show? And Should I clip at or before the fair?

tuckercattle

Working hair every day is where the magic happens.  You can only do so much on show day.  Rice root brushes are indispensable!

AAOK

Tallcool1 said:

Great advice!  The seller wants you to succeed, and should be anxious to help.

About brushes:  The brush itself is most important. You want to buy a Rice Root Brush. Accept no imposture.