How to make a steer look full

Help Support Steer Planet:

InIt2WinIt

I have a steer I really need to fill up for a show.  He gets hollow in his sides when you analyze him from the butt view, however the steer is very deep ribbed on a side view profile.

What should I give him/feed him in order to achieve that really big bellied, full looking appearance??

Thanks

shortii

I have heard of people putting sprite or 7 up in their bucket of water.

kfacres

shortii said:
I have heard of people putting sprite or 7 up in their bucket of water.

it is my understanding that is to make them drink more water-- not that the sprite actually does anything for expanding the guts... 

feed beet pulp or something else to expand the gut content.

vc

We feed grain hay and a few days before the show they go on it free choice, we also feed beetpulp about 3 pounds a feeding.
When they are on the grain hay they always seem to look full. I posted some pictures to give you an idea of how full they can look when eating the grain hay. 3 different fat steers all waiting to go on their last trip but even an 800 pound calf seem to get that full look after a couple week of eating the grain hay.

Attachments

• IMG00029-20100713-1916.jpg
    IMG00029-20100713-1916.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 543
  • 100_1748.jpg
    100_1748.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG00037-20100713-1922.jpg
    IMG00037-20100713-1922.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 475

wyatt

those are some dang good steers!!! i would feed them cotton seed hulls beet pulp hay and give them a little salt an water right before the show

what are they sired by???

Pipeliner

Sprite or 7-up fiz's which cause gases in the stomach and well make them look fuller. It's just like if you were to down a bunch you have to burp. Water, beet pulp I like when they eat it dry cause then it'll expand in there stomach but lots won't eat it dry. Everything else people have suggested works and I agree with them filling on grain hay it works awesome. But be careful using sprite i've heard If you over do it they can suffocate themselves.

vc

In order by picture
Heat Wave
Invincible
Unforgiven

? has anyone else had any experience with Unforgiven, the 2 I have been around were feed converting machines, to the point where if you did not watch them they would blow by 1400 pounds while you were napping. The one that I have pictured weighed over1500 pounds in the picture, (He weighed 1410 at fair but we have to wait for the butcher to have room to process so they some times hang around for 2 to 4 weeks, he only had grain hay and put on over 90 pounds in 3 weeks)

shortii

The Truth, it does work to help temporarily expand their gut. 

The Show

Pipeliner said:
Sprite or 7-up fiz's which cause gases in the stomach and well make them look fuller. It's just like if you were to down a bunch you have to burp. Water, beet pulp I like when they eat it dry cause then it'll expand in there stomach but lots won't eat it dry. Everything else people have suggested works and I agree with them filling on grain hay it works awesome. But be careful using sprite i've heard If you over do it they can suffocate themselves.
A calf won't drink too much sprite on it's own to harm itself, but if you over pump one that's a different story.

The Show

Haha I wasn't sure if that's what you meant or not. I know its a touchy subject for a lot of people.

shortii

I obviously would not suggest pumping your cattle whether it be pop or water. but I do feel by putting pop in a bucket mixed with water wont hurt them. I wouldn't ever do anything to my cattle that felt would hurt them

justme

Purina has a product that is for fill, you don't have to feed much but wow it really works and gets the rumen going.  I just can't think of what its called