How to make feed "hot"

Help Support Steer Planet:

glitter6m

I just purchased an '08 fall PB Simmi heifer for a close friend of mine to show in 4-H and maybe some open shows (will post pix when I get some). I usually feed Showmaster to my heifers, but I was told it is not "hot" enough. I know they are referring to the ingredients, but what exactly do they mean? And what can I add to make it better? Any advice would be great. We're new to having nice show calves  ;) Thanks!

kanshow

You make it 'hot' by adding something with a lot of starch/calories, ie corn.      I think before you get concerned about making a ration hot, you need to assess your heifer's condition & growth.    Do post some pictures.    I'd guess she is pretty green right now - as most yearling simmentals would be.   She probably needs some weight & extra body condition.   I'd look at your ration & see what the protein & fat percents are   Our heifer ration at 14% protein and around 3.5% fat.    We adjust that ration according to the individual heifers.    

glitter6m

She was on Umbargers Breeder/Grower which has protein of 12% and fat of 3%. I feed Showmaster Heifer which has protein of 13% and fat of 3%. She is a small yearling since she was a twin, but she is in great body condition. She is not at all like the yearlings I raise that usually look green and akward at a year old. They have been showing her, and they have spent a great deal of time working with her, so she is in great condition. It will be later in the week before I can get any pictures. Thanks!