How to make the hairy fluffy

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Brush until you never want to see a brush again, and then brush some more.  If you use up all your brushes, buy more, and while they're getting there, blow the steer until you never want to hear another blower. 

Really though, brushing and blowing on the hair a couple hours every day sure helps out.  Genetics are also HUGE in deciding how much hair and what sort of hair your calf will have.  We've had calves that we rinse 3x per day and brush until we are sore, and never grow much hair, and we've had calves out in the pasture in June with 3" of hair hanging on them.

bcosu

if your calf has hair already then brush it all the time this won't only grow more hair but will train it to the point that it is easy to fluff. i know it's boring and repetitive work but it will really help. training the hair will keep it soft and allow it to fluff. here's what works for me... rinse them well, then scrape off as much water as you can. after that put them in front of a couple fans and get a brush or two and brush the hair down. then brush it all forward and the legs up. keep brushing forward on the body and up on the legs until they dry. then sheen them with pink oil or kleen sheen and blow that into them really well. this seems to work for me and keeps my fat steers hairy through the summer.

Alexjung13

i agree totally. Brushing and blowing and rinsing are the best way to grow and fluff the hair. even if you don't have  cooler just a barn if you do that every day you will grow hair.

AAOK

Please take note of the three replies above.  I know this is not want you wanted to hear, but Brushing (with a Rice Root brush) really is the magic ingredient.  There is nothing better you can do.  Too many try to manage hair with a blow dryer, but all the wind in North America will never equal what you can accomplish with a Rice Root brush and a whole lot of elbow grease.

ShowStopper

AAOK said:
Please take note of the three replies above.  I know this is not want you wanted to hear, but Brushing (with a Rice Root brush) really is the magic ingredient.  There is nothing better you can do.  Too many try to manage hair with a blow dryer, but all the wind in North America will never equal what you can accomplish with a Rice Root brush and a whole lot of elbow grease.

Ditto to all of the above posts. However, I don't use a rice root brush. I use the red plastic scrub brushes. For me, they get deeper and are able to stimulate the hair much easier than a rice root brush does. The plastic on these brushes wears down just like rice root and I always know when I have brused enough because then I need to buy a new one and start all over again.

But yes, brushing, rinsing, and blowing is the key to getting fluffy hair.  O0

AAOK

[/quote]

Ditto to all of the above posts. However, I don't use a rice root brush. I use the red plastic scrub brushes. For me, they get deeper and are able to stimulate the hair much easier than a rice root brush does. The plastic on these brushes wears down just like rice root and I always know when I have brused enough because then I need to buy a new one and start all over again.

But yes, brushing, rinsing, and blowing is the key to getting fluffy hair.  O0

[/quote]

Sorry, but I have to disagree.  With a Rice Root you can "train" the hair.  The bristles on the plastic scrub brushes are too far apart to be able to lay the hairs together.

Jive Turkey

TOTALLY agree about the plastic red scrub brushes.

People always see me doing it and wonder what the heck I am doing but it gets through the hair easier and doesn't just comb the "surface" of the hair.

Best trick that no one knows about.

Bawndoh

How about the way you are blowing the hair.  Blower technique is something everyone has to master in order to make the hair look its best.  You have to be sure you are blowing right into the body.  Almost adjacent to it.  If you blow right into the body, the hair comes right back at you and stands out from the body.  Versus if you have the habit of laying the blower nozzle right against the body and blowing the hair in one direction, the air skips over itself and the hair lays totally flat against the calfs body. 

Latest posts