How would you breed her

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakie

This heifer is out of a 100% angus bull and a 75% simmental, 25% limmo dam. In the photos, she is about 6 months old. The owner is thinking they want to try out a shorthorn bull. Who would you breed her to, and I would prefer she not have a zipper afterwards ;)  I am partial to grizzly. The steer is out of her granddam, who was 1/2 simmy, 1/2 limmy, and dirty harry. The cow is her half sister and is out of G13 structure. Red cow is dam. I attempted to lighten some photos but they cam out washy, just use your best judgement

Attachments

• DSC_0096.jpg
    DSC_0096.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 296114_2118502996818_1073056842_32358958_4286889_n.jpg
    296114_2118502996818_1073056842_32358958_4286889_n.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 153.JPG
    153.JPG
    470.2 KB · Views: 136
  • betty.jpg
    betty.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 155
  • l_18eec44b656ed4432bc1fef0c1961c89.jpg
    l_18eec44b656ed4432bc1fef0c1961c89.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 135

oakie

Probable sire

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 144

trevorgreycattleco

If she was mine, I would breed her to A@T Captain Obvious in a heartbeat. I dont own any part of Captain Obvious but Im tellin ya, he would work very well with her.

OH Breeder

Her First go around I for certain use calving ease as you said

Obvious
Gizmo
Jake's Proud Jazz

None of those are going to increase your frame size. They all are proving to be or are calving ease Shorthorn sires. I have used both Gizmo and Jazz personally and will know about 329 in another couple months. Any one of those bulls should provide them with a sale-able calf. The heifer has plenty of depth so you certainly won't loose any with those fella's.

oakie

I was thinking Jakes proud jazz for the shorthorn bull also, but I don't really know alot about shorties, so it's good to see I didn't totally miss the mark. Thanks for the input. what is your opinion on BC4 Blue Ice 0012 for a calving ease bull, and just all around?

oakie

Cut the BS said:
if she were mine.. I'd breed her back to an angus, then take the calf to town and come out like a theif... piss on the show crossbred clubby cool colored game... 

lol, look at her G13 structure sister. She had twins on her for over a month when I took the photo and her steer weaned off at almost 700 lbs as a 8 month old.

I like that A@T Captain Obvious  bull, but will he add rear quarter?

OH Breeder

oakie said:
I was thinking Jakes proud jazz for the shorthorn bull also, but I don't really know alot about shorties, so it's good to see I didn't totally miss the mark. Thanks for the input. what is your opinion on BC4 Blue Ice 0012 for a calving ease bull, and just all around?

I am not familiar with that bull. He is not registered Shorthorn but is registered Chi. From the pictures that Cattlevisions have of him it looks like his calves can have some shoulder to them.
BW on chi site is .09 with .08ACC. I guess when I work with heifers, i always go with something purebred. I have used WMW once and had a peanut.

http://www.cattlevisions.com/Composite/BC4BlueIce0012.php

SSIMMENTALS

I'll second JPJ. Calf should come plenty easy and then be marketable. I' m going to advise you to stay away from Grizzly. I've seen a good handful and calved two this year. I don't think he's going to improve your heifer and the two we had were 95 and 102 pounders off cows eating low quality HAY. These mamas are usually in the high 70s low 80s.

oakie

delightful, I bred a g13 structure x dr who heifer to grizzly to calve this february. Guess I better get the calf pullers out. The JPJ calves I have seen have all been really consistent. They have looked to be a little more moderately muscled though. But they seem to be clean made ones. I am really partial to dirty harry. He isn't considered a calving ease bull but I don't think my calves out of him weighed 70lbs. One was out of this girls granddam and a pb angus cow. He probably won't put the muscle into this heifer that is needed but he should clean up the front end a bit. Here is a recent photo of the heifer. I would like to add some more muscle into her and clean up her front. Her purpose is to raise club calves. Think she'll be any good ;)?

Attachments

• DSCF0478.JPG
    DSCF0478.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF0480.JPG
    DSCF0480.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 142

ROMAX

Cut the BS said:
if she were mine.. I'd breed her back to an angus, then take the calf to town and come out like a theif... piss on the show crossbred clubby cool colored game... 
Do you even know what the name of this website is and that 99% of the discussion is about show cattle,go hang out at cattletoday.com if you just want to talk about everyday cattle.

Davidsonranch

Oakie,
Thanks for posting the pics of the kid's heifer.  I'm finally out of the stone age and signed up now. 
So for anyone willing to throw out some advice here is some more info.  This heifer belongs to a 10 year old boy and his 9 year old sister.  They want to breed her clubby, but not set on Shorthorn bulls.  I hope everyone appreciates kids and they really want a blue roan colored calf.  Color seems to be more important then even trying to argue with them about mass, muscle, lines, etc. 
BC4 Blue Ice 0012 has some really cool looking calves in the California circuits and he is "labled" a possible heifer bull.  So keeping my kids wishes in mind, can you give us some more good bulls who might throw some roan color?  Trust me if it were Dad's choice, we would be probably doing something different.  ;)
Any help is greatly appreciated.

kfacres

ROMAX said:
Cut the BS said:
Do you even know what the name of this website is and that 99% of the discussion is about show cattle,go hang out at cattletoday.com if you just want to talk about everyday cattle.
YA, IT'S CALLED STEER PLANET..

LAST TIME I CHECKED, 99.99% OF THE STEERS IN THIS WORLD, GET BUTCHERED.

Davidsonranch

Here are a few calves out of the BC4 Blue Ice 0012 bull we are looking at.
supreme_contracostafair-s.jpg

reno05grand-s.jpg

borani_steersm.jpg

oakie

Can we just focus on the primary objective here. My cattle are bred to perform on the rail in the field and in the ring so whatever he uses shouldn't affect the quality that is already there. No problem Ryan I love the photos super cute.

Davidsonranch

No problem Sam.  I'm sure by the time it's time to AI, the kids will change their mind or find something else.  Just wanted to see what anyone else thought about her or breeding recommendations. 

oakie

not a problem, I was referring to the peeing match that was about to take place. Sounds like alot of jakes proud jazz supporters. She should throw a roan, she has alot of reds and silvers in her pedigree.  Has anyone tried Tiger woods and what are his calf sizes? If I remember right he's a borderline calving ease bull? Would I-80 work on her?What about Bojo for a second calf?

rarebirdz

I like my sons tiger woods calf he wasnt an easy birth out of a proven cow but his structure and legs should make him  a good project. I kinda think a white shorty might make a Kool blue. I have purchased some semen from shorties to cross on my commercial angus cows pics spring 2013 ;) and of course more opinions

oakie

Is sin city a larger bw bull? It seems like his numbers were off or something. I haven't looked at shorties other than jpj in a while

furinsilex

I know that a lot of people like some tiger woods calves.  I personally wouldnt use him after seeing him as a bull.  Saw him up at stud and he was too big for me.  Needed more moderation of frame and stouten him up.  He did have good bone size and a decent front end.  But he just wasnt stout enough for me.