HSUS

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

one more article in a choir magazine.

people need to talk to someone outside the choir.

they also want the choice to kill humans, but not animals.  the only argument they have is "why do you have to bring that up, it's not an argument"

same thing with horse slaughter, they would rather kill humans than horses.

if there's one thing a zealot hates, it's choice.

KCK

Totally right. We need to get it out to others. Case in point... girl I went to HS with is all huggy, lovey with HSUS. Posted anti-HSUS video on my FB page (granted that isn't doing too much out of the box thinking, but still..) and she was shocked. Simply told her point blank- she loves animals, HSUS doesn't, donate to our local shelter in the form of food, blankets or time to walk and entertain the animals. She knows I am not in the market of slandering people or harming my animals b/c of my credibility from showing in HS. She has changed her donations. One small victory people. All it takes to start a conversation.

american honey

I thought this article would be a great conversation starter. I mean, I am constantly like  to keep up to date with the HSUS. I got to a high school that could careless about agriculture, so I am doing my best to educate. What is you be-est advice to start this topic with someone?

knabe

american honey said:
What is you be-est advice to start this topic with someone?

ask them who was the last person in their family who farmed and why no one does now.  if all food was organic, how would poor people afford it.  where will water come from.  if you like choice on abortion, why not horse slaughter.  when is choice choice?  if we are ruining the environment growing food, why immigrate people and how do we know how many is the right number?  if organic is the right way to do things, at what point do you see what generation will be hand weeding and will that be a high enough paying job to raise a family and will they have enough money to buy an ipad and all the other gadgets that use electricity that will need to be powered by wind, solar, and exercise machines.  evenutally, they will say eliminate money.  then ask them how do you reward penalize people who work, won't work and is it fair for the person who won't work to have an ipad.  ask them the questions, and keep them answering till they can hear themselves.  usually it takes about 10 minutes before they realize they have no facts and need to go get some and by that point they get mad.  then, the next day, say you are really interested and ask them if they have come up with some data supporting their point of view.  ask them if they want to come pull weeds.  ask them when will they give up their car?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8411336/EU-to-ban-cars-from-cities-by-2050.html

at what point will their actions match their words and who should impose them to do so if they don't?  usually their argument falls apart if they aren't doing the imposing.  as soon as someone else starts imposing their views on them, suddenly force is inappropriate.  sort of like "give war a chance" now that democrats are in charge.

or ban eggs altogether.  what a joke.  who defines controversial?  maybe the eggs could come from planned parenthood.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/white-house-announces-greener-eggs-packa

american honey

knabe said:
american honey said:
What is you be-est advice to start this topic with someone?

ask them who was the last person in their family who farmed and why no one does now.  if all food was organic, how would poor people afford it.  where will water come from.  if you like choice on abortion, why not horse slaughter.  when is choice choice?  if we are ruining the environment growing food, why immigrate people and how do we know how many is the right number?  if organic is the right way to do things, at what point do you see what generation will be hand weeding and will that be a high enough paying job to raise a family and will they have enough money to buy an ipad and all the other gadgets that use electricity that will need to be powered by wind, solar, and exercise machines.  evenutally, they will say eliminate money.  then ask them how do you reward penalize people who work, won't work and is it fair for the person who won't work to have an ipad.  ask them the questions, and keep them answering till they can hear themselves.  usually it takes about 10 minutes before they realize they have no facts and need to go get some and by that point they get mad.  then, the next day, say you are really interested and ask them if they have come up with some data supporting their point of view.  ask them if they want to come pull weeds.

Hmm...I will try that! Thanks!!

creativecattle

I think we need to remember we don't need to educate and force the agriculture story on anyone, but we do need to make ourselves available if they have a question. I talk often with my non-ag friends about what is going on at my farm, the beef recipes that I am cooking that night, etc. If they have questions they will eventually come to you as a source on agriculture.

knabe

crystal.cattle said:
If they have questions they will eventually come to you as a source on agriculture.

meanwhile, the one's come to you with the answers.  problem is, those outnumber the one's with questions, and they are not interested in land ownership.

american honey

The bad thing that worries me the most is that they get their answers from non-ag people, or people that think agriculture is bad.