Huh?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

???  I now have an actual excuse for not always hearing the hubby. I'm going deaf in my right ear. I've been saying HUH? for quite a while now. Miss parts of conversations & have to turn the TV up loud. Is it a sign of old age? Going to hit the big 5-0 this year. Some of my med's have caused hearing problems. There is also a genetic condition that runs through my family that might be the cause.

Oh well, chalk this up to old red!  (lol)

chambero

I'm 36 and I've got some pretty significant hearing loss.  I've got a real issue now.  I always worried that I had done it by too much hunting, but I finally figured out my problem.  Too much time around clippers.  Honestly, think how loud those things are (at least the old Oster sheepheads), how many hours we spend clipping or watching someone that is.  I've been around them constantly since 1985 and now I'm darned near deaf if there is any background noise at all.  Drives my wife and kids nuts.  People make fun of me for talking very loud on my mobile phone. 

knabe

blowers and generators.  the other thing women (ok people) seem to do is to start talking (maybe expecting you to walk with them as a form of oral communication?), and then walk away from you, and wonder why you can't hear them. 

our family has the one side deaf action going on.

now, at least if you are not cocking your head, people will know you are selectively hearing them.

i think the cell phones now have a selection where you can boost different frequencies to compensate for frequency range loss.  i have it on mine, and it works pretty good.

anyone ever try and yawn while shooting a gun?  now that is totally stupid.  talk about a ringing that never ends.

Simmymom1

red said:
  ???  I now have an actual excuse for not always hearing the hubby. I'm going deaf in my right ear. I've been saying HUH? for quite a while now. Miss parts of conversations & have to turn the TV up loud. Is it a sign of old age? Going to hit the big 5-0 this year. Some of my med's have caused hearing problems. There is also a genetic condition that runs through my family that might be the cause.

Oh well, chalk this up to old red!   (lol)

(dog)    I bet you can still hear Woody barking at you when he needs you and to me that is all that really matters!!!   I am 39 and have alot of hearing loss in my right ear.  The stupid doctor even asked me if I shot guns alot, I said "Oh yeah, every day".  I mean I have been hunting a few times with my dad and my hubby, but that sure didn't cause it!  The stupid doctor had me in tears by the time I left because he had me so freaked out about my hearing loss.   Oh well, there are worse things in life that is for sure.      Lisa

red

Actually I can hear the higher frequencies better than the low. That explains the hubby versus Woody. Humm.....

Red  ;)

kanshow

IMO...  The two biggest causes of hearing loss are two little words....    I DO.       

knabe

kanshow said:
IMO...  The two biggest causes of hearing loss are two little words....    I DO.       

is it instantaneous?  probably skewed more one way than the other.  i need a beer.

ok, if guys now talk in a higher frequency, way up higher in our mouths like american idol singers, are you going to tease us for that too? ;D

minimoo38

knabe said:
kanshow said:
IMO...   The two biggest causes of hearing loss are two little words....     I DO.       

is it instantaneous?  probably skewed more one way than the other.  i need a beer.

ok, if guys now talk in a higher frequency, way up higher in our mouths like american idol singers, are you going to tease us for that too? ;D

yes. absolutely.  ;D  ;)

Jill

Fans and Blowers, when I walk out of the barn I have a ringing in my ears, never thought of it causing hearing loss.

aj

I worked with a guy a couple years. He was pretty hard of hearing. We were always kidding around. One day I started mouthing words but not speaking aloud. He kept turning up his hearing aide. Finally when he figured out what I was doing he was ready to kill me. Anyway...he made me pay for it the next two weeks with his own practical jokes. It is a serious issue though. ;D

Thornberry

A couple of years ago we started having the kids wear ear plugs while in the barn blowing and working the calves.  With 8 fans and several blowers and the radio going it does get LOUD. They don't listen or hear very well at times now so I wouldn't want it to get worse! LOL

rtnok

Red, the next thing you will have to do is replace all the 40 and 60 watt light bulbs for 100's and 150's . The hearing thing for me is too many hours on cabless tractors some times the ringing would stop after two days.

Knabe, my wife does the samething to me she will walk into the other room and ask me a question then wonders why i can't hear her. I'm not going to get a hearing aid the rest of the family will just have to live with the loud tv. roni

KYsteer

I can relate to the cabless tractor problem.  I now wear the large ear muffs, like the kind you use when you run a chainsaw.  I also remember being in the clubs when I was younger, they would play the music  so loud that my ears were still ringing the next day.  If only we knew then what we know now.

knabe

sometimes it's not hearing, it's just comprehension.  it took me a sec to get that cabless tractors had nothing to do with cables.

does anyone have good memories of cutting alfalfa with a cabless hesston?  the earplugs aren't just to keep the noise out.  the amount of weevils is awe inspiring.

i made that similar comprehension mistake in a college writing class about the youth in asia when i wasn't paying close enough attention.

BCCC

well I am only 14, and I am very hard at hearing. For hearing test 120 is passing (lower then # the better) in my righ tear i got 2540 and in my left i got 1420....

doubled

red said:
minimoo38 said:
knabe said:
blowers and generators.

no kidding. after i get done blowing, i get that weird, light headed feeling, and it takes like 10 minutes to go away.

that's from all the beer!  ;)  ;)  ;) (lol)
(lol)

hehehehehe red that was funny, minimoo is young ya know (thumbsup)