hwo much should i charge

Help Support Steer Planet:

Moocow11

'I am thinking about custom hauling for people areound here. We have a 2004 Chevy duramax allison. And a 2007 8 x 30 Elite Livestock Trailer that has 7' ceilings. how much do you think i should charge

knabe

make a profit after you account for your expenses that you are happy with fully acounting for your expenses.

what is the cost of ownership of your truck today including maintainence, insurance, depreciation, replacement cost, experience with what you are hauling, make a checklist and compare with your competitors.  isn't it great to set a price instead of accepting one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pigguy

insurance is about 125 every month, about 50 bucks every 2-3 months. i bought the truck for 20,000. and i will be hauling pigs, horses and cattle. we have 461 sows and about 1000 pigglets right now. and w ehave about 400 cows, and we have 32 horses. so i have experiance with it all

pigguy

i aint going to be able to get 3 bucks a mile i am thinking. Any trip to the vet 40 bucks per hour of your time with a 40 dollar minimum. an d50 dollars  for the sale barn.
$2.00 per mile

Jill

There is a standard trucking rate and you should be able to find that out from you extension office or a local company that does custom trucking.  Figure up what your expenses are, I don't think there is much money in it right now but we aren't in that line of work so I would talk to someone that has been doing it for a while.

TJ

pigguy said:
i aint going to be able to get 3 bucks a mile i am thinking. Any trip to the vet 40 bucks per hour of your time with a 40 dollar minimum. an d50 dollars  for the sale barn.
$2.00 per mile

Sounds like you have a plan.  You absolutely have to have a minimum or you will lose money on the short hauls.  On the longer hauls, the further you go, the less per mile you could charge & still make money.  But, be sure to factor in all expenses. If you are making a trip anyway, you can cut some slack & your customers will not only appreciate it, but will give you repeat business & referrals.

BTW, 15 years ago, I charged $1.50 per loaded mile & made several 1000 mile trips @ that rate.  I'd say that you can make money @ $2 per loaded mile & a minimum charge on the short hauls.   

farmboy

the guy i bought my ace calf off of hauled him 60 sum miles for 50 bucks, now that was str8up generosity  (clapping)

TJ

farmboy said:
the guy i bought my ace calf off of hauled him 60 sum miles for 50 bucks, now that was str8up generosity  (clapping)

FWIW, on a few occasions, I've sold cattle & then hauled them 225 - 250 miles to a buyer for free... but, I am a softy!    ;)  ;D (lol)