hypothetical show situation

Help Support Steer Planet:

frostback

Ok so I am bored again, and was thinking about all the people that wine and moan after a show about it being political and all. So it got me thinking would anyone go to a show where you got there and got your own animal ready how you see fit but heres the kicker. There would be a person there to show them. A group of capable showmen that would show every animal there, maybe drew numbers for every class before the show. You just hand off the halter outside the ring so the judge would not know any connections. No I do not like this idea just wondering if people would go to something like this.

shortyjock89

I think if we started doing this, it wouldn't take long to just start turning them all out in a pen together (like the pen shows in Denver).

sounds good if you are a parent or breeder but not if you are a showman it would suck to put all the time and effort in getting your project ready only to watch someone else show even if you won the feeling wouldnt be the same nothing beats the feeling when you see the judge walk up you and shakes your hand

gbart

I am sure nothing like this would go over in TX. Yes the TX majors are VERY Political but that is what you get if you want to play the stock show game. Guess you could say I would rather roll the dice and spend time and money with my kids rather than leaving them at home and roll the dice and spend money in Vegas.

Also the kids that actually do put the time and effort in on their projects would lose out on the feeling of winning if this was the case.

Show Family

I would rather see the showmanship class be the fit class and then the market class be the blow and show.  I think that fitting is a part of showing your animal at it's best and the market class should be based on what your animal truly looks like. 

Ms Ray

Show Family said:
I would rather see the showmanship class be the fit class and then the market class be the blow and show.  I think that fitting is a part of showing your animal at it's best and the market class should be based on what your animal truly looks like. 

I agree,  never understood why showmanship is blow and go and then everyone sprays for market, when part of showmanship should be presentation.

I might even go as far as saying fit for showmanship and slick for market then there is nothing hiding

The Show

I think you would still see very similar results. People tend to pull the politic card pretty quick when they get beat these days. I do believe politics come into play when you start getting into cattle that are equally good and could all be used to win rather it be the class, division, or overall. Face it though, if you can fairly justify using a calf that your friend or someone you know is showing over someone you don't know or have any ties to who are you going to pick? That's just how people are.  In general(<<<my disclaimer to keep from getting flamed) the people screaming politics aren't winning as much nor do they have the same quality of cattle as the people they are accusing. It's not like the people winning are buying their show cattle at the sale barn to drag against a calf you paid $(Insert desired amount here) amount of money for. I'm not saying politics don't exist when it comes to showing, I just think it's a little overrated.

AAOK

I've always thought the Political Card just another excuse for the Whiners!

rarebirdz

if it isnt politics they would find something else if they are gonna whine they will find a replacment topic like the showman on my animal wasnt as good as the one on the winning animal

Brian04

Showmanship is about the showman and how well they show and know what to do not how the anmal is fit or not fit its how the person shows the animal

Show Family

Brian04 said:
Showmanship is about the showman and how well they show and know what to do not how the anmal is fit or not fit its how the person shows the animal

You are correct -- showmanship is about the show person and how well they show the animal, however it's about showing the animal to the best of it's ability.  They should have knowledge of their project, as you have said, but they should also have knowledge as to the strengths and weakness of their project.  When you fit an animal you are creating the "perfect" image of said animal.    So part of showing an animal is preparing that animal to look it's best. 

vc

So the one with the best fitter wins? The animal should still be clean and the hair worked, there's just no glue or paint. The exhibitor should be well dressed, hair done with propper foot attire (no paint on close or body). Then they should be judged on their ability to present the animal.

hinkleboys

I don't know about picking the showman, but I do think we should shave them down to slick and show them or stop all these kids from winning when 5 grown men or more work for hours on end fitting them.  If the cattle are that good then it shouldn't matter if the kids fit them and don't do it the way the professional fitters do it.