I-67

Help Support Steer Planet:

pweaver

Anyone have any experience using I-67?  His neck looks a bit thick or short.  How do his calves do with movement, structure, size, disposition, pretty much your overall opinion?  I have a Man Among Boys heifer to breed this spring.  Man Among Boys is out of a Who cow and this heifer's dam is sired by Who.  I thought about Jessie James but he is a Solution that is sired by Who.  Afraid that was too much of one sire.  Or maybe that would be a good thing.

BroncoFan

We kept a heifer whose sire is I-67.  She is sound, stout, a little on the big side, great fronted and with great neck extension.  We aren't worried about her being a little big because there are plenty of extremely moderate bulls to use on her.  We gave this heifer to our 4 month old son (yes 4 months old).  We call it a steer a year program.  Now obviously she wont have a bull calf every year but anyways when her calves sell we will put the money in a separate account and not let him touch it until he graduates high school.

hntwhitetail

I don't think you will be having too much who in your pedigree.  The dam of Man Among Boys is a Hard Core x Who x simmi .... so it is a little further back. 

Limiman12

BroncoFan said:
We kept a heifer whose sire is I-67.  She is sound, stout, a little on the big side, great fronted and with great neck extension.  We aren't worried about her being a little big because there are plenty of extremely moderate bulls to use on her.  We gave this heifer to our 4 month old son (yes 4 months old).  We call it a steer a year program.  Now obviously she wont have a bull calf every year but anyways when her calves sell we will put the money in a separate account and not let him touch it until he graduates high school.

I had a similar program growing up, only my grandpa made it a heifer a year.....  If my cow had a bull, he would let me pick a heifer to trade for.  Did that up till high school when I started selling my steers, then in college dad would trade for my heifers.  Eventually when I needed some start up capital to start my chiropractic office I had a "complete dispersal sale" which amounted to my dad and I walking through the pasture with him bidding against himself.  I was blessed to have a family that let me work that program of course, but as grandpa said early on, you have to work to earn your cows keep, as you get older you'll have more cows so you will have to work harder.  Taught me a lot, gave me a great start.    Paige is six, and she has a cow about to have her third calf, a heifer about to calve, and a heifer to ai this spring.  So far Bella  has had heifers so there hasn't been too much trading yet!     

Sorry to sidetrack thread